SWG - Sizing and Power Supply Questions

Herbaldew

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2018
Milton DE
Hi,

The bleach shortage caused me to take another look at getting an SWG. I was looking at Aqua Rite but then decided an IntelliChlor was right for me. I had breezed right by CircuPool - after slowing down and taking a closer look at them I now think they are best for me. I hated that the display was going to be upside down in my vertical install of the IC, but the much lower price and full warranty on the CP for my DIY install won me over.

My questions - first size: Is the RJ-30 the best size for my pool or should I go up to the RJ-45? I ran my pump for 8 hours a day last year with excellent results using Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid.

Secondly, my power is supplied via a 20 amp GFCI breaker on 12 ga cable (~60 feet). Would that be sufficient to run both the filter and the SWCG?

Thanks

dew,

We always recommend a SWCG that is rated for at least 2 X the volume of your pool.. Too big is never an issue, while too small is.

That said, in your location an RJ-30 should work just fine.. Not so fine in the middle of TX or AZ.

I suspect that your pump and cell will work just fine on your 20 amp breaker.. Worst case, it does not, and you can add a new line or upgrade the one you have.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I haven't ordered yet - still vacillating on size.

The RJ-45 is 2.5x my pool capacity - I understand this isn't too big correct?

At $100 more than the RJ-30, is it conceivable that I may recoup that amount due to the difference in longevity of the RJ-45 given it will not have to work as hard?

The SLAM guide mentions turning off the SWG - if I do have to SLAM, with this much capacity would it be feasible to have the RJ-45 running on max output to reduce the amount of bleach I would have to add to maintain SLAM level?

Thanks again!

dew,

Discount pool has a sale about once an hour where you buy one size and they upgrade you to the next size for a dollar...

The rule about 2 x the volume of the pool is much more important in Texas and AZ than it is in Delaware..

I would never use a SWCG to SLAM, as you are just using the cell up for no reason.. Just add liquid chlorine for a SLAM.

You do understand that a cell can only make a fixed amount of chlorine. They normally last about 5 to 8 years..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply.

What I forgot to ask in my last post - I have no idea how to equate the #s of chlorine gas the SWG makes to an amount of liquid chlorine.

Last year I averaged using 1 quart a day of 10% Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid and ran my pump for 8 hours a day. I guess what I would like to know is if the RJ-30 can make a comparable amount during an 8 hour run or if I would need to either go up to the RJ-45 and/or run the pump longer to do that.

dew,

An RJ30 plus will add about .4 ppm of FC to your 17.5K pool per hour. So in 8 hours it will increase your FC by 3.3 ppm when the cell is set to run at 100% output.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ahhh - thanks and thanks :)

Based on Jim's figures and playing with the PoolMath app at mguzzy's suggestion it looks like the RJ-30, based on last year's usage, will produce my needed chlorine in 8 hours set at 44% and the RJ-45 would do it set at 33%.

We always recommend a SWCG that is rated for at least 2 X the volume of your pool.. Too big is never an issue, while too small is.
That said, in your location an RJ-30 should work just fine.

Agreed. Seeing these numbers has stopped my vacillating:cool:

Thanks again!

Dont forget to factor in that for an 8 hour run time , the RJ45 running at 33% would have a longer life expectancy , vs the RJ30 running at 44% . It just may be cheaper to get the RJ45 , both in longer cell life, and saved electricity from a shorter run time (or perhaps a shorter pump run time with the RJ45) .
I was also deciding between the RJ45 and RJ60 . In the end, I went with the RJ60 and have no regrets .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.