SWG Size - 28k Gallon Pool in New Jersey

Prplngld

May 1, 2020
New Jersey
Hi, my pool holds about 28k gallons and I live in New Jersey. In my climate, could I get by with with the Aquarite 15 Cell or the Pentair IC40 or do I need to jump to the IC60? Any recommendations? First time pool opener so all input is appreciated! Thanks!

The experts here recommend double the size of your pool, which would be the IC60 or similarly rated.

But:
We have a 10k pool and a 7k rated SWG. In my case we have been buying 7k SWG's from Walmart when they close out in the fall for $25 to $40. So we supplement the SWG with bleach. Our pool is partially under a tree so we run the pump ~ 12 hours a day anyway. Generally by the end of the season the SWG is toast.

Hi thanks Msch99.! My hesitation is that I would like the Aquarite over the Pentair, but they don't have a 60k. Is there a significant difference in power usage (money) and lifespan for a 40k than a 60k, if I'll only be having my pool open for 4 months out of the year?

Also, my current system (pictured) is actually a Pentair. Is there an advantage to getting a SWG of the same brand? For automation purposes? I'm a new pool owner, so I've been hearing those words but don't really understand fully.

Attachments

• -2218683702036623743.jpg
    -2218683702036623743.jpg
    556.7 KB · Views: 18
Unless you have Pentair automation, there is no need for a Pentair IC.

I was going to say the T15 would be fine, but with a single speed pump, you will have to accept the pump running for 16 hours a day or so during swim season to generate your chlorine. Are you OK with that?

Is there a significant difference in power usage (money) and lifespan for a 40k than a 60k, if I'll only be having my pool open for 4 months out of the year?
They don’t draw any significant power like your pump does. The rated size is for treating the pool 24/7. They all have a lifespan based upon hours used, so if you use the 60 model 1/3 less than the 40 model, it will last 1/3 longer under ideal conditions. The same goes for the shorter season. You will get more ‘years’ from the 8k hour lifespan (most units) than someone who is open most or all of the year.

Reactions: Prplngld
Unless you have Pentair automation, there is no need for a Pentair IC.

I was going to say the T15 would be fine, but with a single speed pump, you will have to accept the pump running for 16 hours a day or so during swim season to generate your chlorine. Are you OK with that?

Got it. What does that mean for me money wise? Is there a significant cost increase by running it 16 hrs a day, rather than say 8?

They don’t draw any significant power like your pump does. The rated size is for treating the pool 24/7. They all have a lifespan based upon hours used, so if you use the 60 model 1/3 less than the 40 model, it will last 1/3 longer under ideal conditions. The same goes for the shorter season. You will get more ‘years’ from the 8k hour lifespan (most units) than someone who is open most or all of the year.

Thanks, that's a big help!

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So a rough estimation is 1000 kWh per hp. So you are using 1.5 kW per hour. So each day at 8 hours that is 12 kW. Double that for 16 hours. You can use your electrical cost to see what that is.

Take a look at our signatures. You will see far more detail. See if you can fill yours out a little.

So a rough estimation is 1000 kWh per hp. So you are using 1.5 kW per hour. So each day at 8 hours that is 12 kW. Double that for 16 hours. You can use your electrical cost to see what that is.

Take a look at our signatures. You will see far more detail. See if you can fill yours out a little.

Thank you! Will do that. Based on this info and quality of SWG's, would you recommend the Aqua Rite or Pentair for my pool?

Thank you! Will do that. Based on this info and quality of SWG's, would you recommend the Aqua Rite or Pentair for my pool?
either one will work
Aquarite is probably an older design and very well established. Lots of replacement parts out there for cells.
Pentair is newer design, has higher output options.

The thing that swings a lot of people is if they plan on installing it themselves. Some manufactures will honor a shorter warranty for DIY installs. But in the bigger picture either one will work. For other people the prospect of including automation will swing them. Have you seen this chart?
Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features
In the bigger picture either one will work.

either one will work
Aquarite is probably an older design and very well established. Lots of replacement parts out there for cells.

The thing that swings a lot of people is if they plan on installing it themselves. Some manufactures will honor a shorter warranty for DIY installs. But in the bigger picture either one will work. For other people the prospect of including automation will swing them. Have you seen this chart?

Wow thanks thats great info. I plan to hire someone to instal...Just going back and forth between a Pentair IC60 or the Aquarite T-15...

either one will work

I would think that chart is not accurate. The site is owned by the only distributor of Circupool in the US.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.