SWG Shopping

Jun 5, 2013
Greetings TFP. I'm considering going to salt this year. I've been using bleach for the past 4 or 5 years and have a very firm grasp of the chemistry involved, but I really haven't read up much on SWGs, so I wouldn't mind somebody holding my hand through the conversion.

My reason for wanting to goto SWG, is I just started an auto repair garage, and I'm sure I'll be way too distracted to keep on top of the daily bleach/testing rituals. I understand I'll still need to test regularly to keep the pool in check, but not having to shuttle bleach and dose daily would be so worth the cost of the install.

CircuPool SJ-40 Saltwater Chlorinator for up to 40000 gallon salt water pools

Looking at the SJ-40, it appears I can grab it for $620. What else would I need to complete an install?

Thanks in advance.

Looking at the SJ-40, it appears I can grab it for $620. What else would I need to complete an install?

#1 salt (you can use pool math and typically you only need about half of what the calculator says because you probably already have 1500ish salt in your water by default
#2 muriatic acid (you probably already have this since you were using bleach but just in case you probably will need it with SWG)
#3 a timer to turn off the SWG and to make sure it never is left on if your pump is turned off (you may already have one for your pump, if so ask others if it can be used for both) My pool had one for an old single speed pump and they just wired into it
#4 more time to go swimming. The SWG makes the water so nice you may find yourself in the pool more often :goodjob:
#5 CYA you probably only maintained CYA @ 30-40 with bleach but you should keep it at 70-80 with SWG see this article in pool school

oh and you should test regularly but I have gotten "maybe lazy" or used to the SWG and don't test more than once a week unless something seems wrong but that's not a recommendation just my risk...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.