Tired of buying new electrodes for Intex SWG, what's a good upgrade that will last but not break the bank?

gaberino

May 1, 2020
Tucson, AZ
We're going on our 4th season with our above ground pool and it has been mostly great. The Intex SWG has worked fairly well, but the life of the electrodes has been short. Even though it says it is rated for 15k gallons, I have to run it for 7 or so hours per day during the summer to keep the chlorine up. The electrodes need to be soaked in acid frequently to clean, so I started having a second one on hand so I can just swap them back and forth. I've had to replace the main one several times ($125 each), and the secondary one once ($62.50 each), as they eventually just stop making chlorine and/or throw low salt errors.

Between the constant maintenance and the cost of replacing the electrodes, I'm feeling like it might be worth investing in a higher quality system. I'd rather stay under $1k, which seems reasonable given the small size of the pool. I've googled and found some options, like this: CircuPool SJ-20 Saltwater Chlorinator | Discount Salt Pool
but would love to get input from actual pool folks. Thanks!

We're going on our 4th season with our above ground pool and it has been mostly great. The Intex SWG has worked fairly well, but the life of the electrodes has been short. Even though it says it is rated for 15k gallons, I have to run it for 7 or so hours per day during the summer to keep the chlorine up. The electrodes need to be soaked in acid frequently to clean, so I started having a second one on hand so I can just swap them back and forth. I've had to replace the main one several times ($125 each), and the secondary one once ($62.50 each), as they eventually just stop making chlorine and/or throw low salt errors.

Between the constant maintenance and the cost of replacing the electrodes, I'm feeling like it might be worth investing in a higher quality system. I'd rather stay under $1k, which seems reasonable given the small size of the pool. I've googled and found some options, like this: CircuPool SJ-20 Saltwater Chlorinator | Discount Salt Pool
Using acid frequently is wearing them out faster, regardless of brand or model.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I've been using white vinegar, for whatever that's worth. With the design of the electrode, it would be difficult to scrape all of the scale off manually.
If you manage the CSI to keep it at zero or a little less, you won’t need to clean it at all.

I’ve been satisfied with this one:

I’m on my second season with it, and it’s worked reliably, at a wide range of temperatures and salt levels.

Reactions: Newdude
Manage csi to keep any acid cleanings to a minimum or even make them unnecessary. If you don’t do this it won’t matter what swcg you have it will die a premature death. High ch is manageable to a point.
The intex units are a decent value for what they provide now that their cost has come back down from covid gouging.
Running around 7hrs in the peak of summer with your size pool & that size cell is about right & pretty good for blazing AZ. I was pretty much the same in northern MS w/ that size pool & intex swcg.
Keep the cya up around 80 to help protect the fc the cell produces to help reduce run time.
Posting your latest test results will help us guide your chemistry a bit better.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Manage csi to keep any acid cleanings to a minimum or even make them unnecessary. If you don’t do this it won’t matter what swcg you have it will die a premature death. High ch is manageable to a point.
The intex units are a decent value for what they provide now that their cost has come back down from covid gouging.
Running around 7hrs in the peak of summer with your size pool & that size cell is about right & pretty good for blazing AZ. I was pretty much the same in northern MS w/ that size pool & intex swcg.
Keep the cya up around 80 to help protect the fc the cell produces to help reduce run time.
Posting your latest test results will help us guide your chemistry a bit better.
Yes, I'm realizing now that I've been pretty lax about managing pH with muriatic acid. I've just been adding it once in awhile when pH is really high, but I'm going to be more vigilant about adding it regularly and tracking CSI in the Pool Math app. I just had to do a SLAM because the the SWG was struggling, causing the FC levels to dip, and the water got cloudy pretty quick in this warm weather. I did not realize that water temperature was one of the factors in CSI and scale formation on the SWG. The water is back to sparkling clear now, and I want to keep it that way.
You can also try borates by adding boric acid to the pool. They provide an additional pH-buffer that buffers the localised pH-rise within the cell and helps to reduce scaling on the plates.

This is interesting. I did not know that boric acid would help with pH and also specifically help reduce scale formation on the SWG element.

So I think I will hold off on looking at new SWGs and see if managing pH better will get more life out of the Intex. It does the job well when it's working.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.