SWG shopping list - newbie advice needed

michelegel

Bronze Supporter
Sep 9, 2015
Mamaroneck, NY
Hi All,

We bought a bestway 9 x 18 x 48" frame pool with and upgraded to Intex Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools, 110-120V with GFCI

my volume should be 4860 gallons

Bought so far - 120 lbs of Morton pool Salt
1.25 - 1.5" adapters for the pump

I know we need 20 grade silica sand, test kit

What else do we need for the pool chemistry?

So confused by the multiple threads regarding baking soda, bleach, etc.

thanks in advance!

The bleach is a source of chlorine. You'll need some to get going even though you have the SWCG.

You'll also need CYA to start up also. You can use PoolMath to calculate the number of lbs you need, and you'll put that in early in the start up.

Baking soda and muriatic acid are for pH and alkalinity control. Won't know which or how much you need until you start testing the water.

The Recommended Pool Chemicals article covers the chemicals you'll need.

Reactions: michelegel
Thank you so much. Wow, there was no mention of adding chorine directly to get going in the intex manual. Do I need to do something like SLAM the pool to start?

Also, I'm looking at Natural Chemistry Pool Stabilizer (yeah, I know, Liquid is more expensive), is that the same as CYA? The description keeps saying its not an acid, its a salt.

Here's my running list:
liquid chlorine/bleach (now that you said)
CYA - liquid, trying to figure out if any pool conditioner will do - Natural Chemistry Pool conditioner/Stabilizer?
Muriatic Acid
Baking Soda
Borax

Thanks again. You and this board are amazing.

I use the Natural Chemistry conditioner - works great. Most people here to recommend getting the granules (much less expensive than the liquid) and dissolving it in a sock in front of a return. I did that once and decided I preferred the liquid CYA due to ease of dosing (just pour along the perimeter of the pool and do a good once around with the brush to get it mixed in) and the fact that the conditioner gets into the water much faster. For me personally, it's worth the additional expense. Welcome to TFP!

Michael,

Most people don't need anything other than liquid chlorine, muriatic acid and CYA (conditioner). With your salt system use Pool Math to figure out how much run time you need to get the FC level right. Your unit produces 7 gr/hr. That's .37 lb per day. You can type it in on Pool Math. Set the SWG % to 100%. At 8 hr per day you'll increase the FC by 3 ppm per day. That should be plenty for this time of year but every pool's a little different so check FC daily and adjust run time as necessary. FC consumption will increase with more use, more contaminants, and more sunlight. So keep track frequently until you get to know your pool. If you're reading ever drops suddenly use liquid to bring it up quickly so you avoid problems. Your chlorinator can't raise FC very quickly. For your size pool I wouldn't keep more than a gallon on hand and another for initial startup. You'll need to use liquid 'till you get the salt in.

I hope this helps.

Chris

I do not see anyone recommending a test kit. Many of us use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net. You can also use a Taylor K2006C.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Marty, thanks for the reminder! That should be in the first post to any new pool owner. Michel, do get one of the kits Marty recommended! It's foundational to successful and cheap pool maintenance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.