SWG says "insufficient water flow"

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
My SWG is 11 years old and I replaced the cell 3 years ago. This year, when I turn it on, I immediately get the solid red light "insufficient water flow". I cleaned the cell with acid and it looks good. I checked the wires (visual inspection) going the the flow sensor and they look good. The pressure in the filter is 12psi which is normal. There are no air bubbles in my pump basket. I am guessing it's either the flow sensor or the board inside the unit the the sensor is attached to. Anything else I can try before ordering a new sensor?

You can try unplugging the sensor form the board and replugging it back in. Sometimes there is a bit of corrosion in the connector.

I had a little friend chew through the wire on my flow switch last spring. That's probably good thing to check first. If it looks ok, you could cut the wire and connect the two wires together (temporarily!) to trick the controller into thinking the flow switch is closed. If that makes it work, replace the flow switch.

I had a little friend chew through the wire on my flow switch last spring. That's probably good thing to check first. If it looks ok, you could cut the wire and connect the two wires together (temporarily!) to trick the controller into thinking the flow switch is closed. If that makes it work, replace the flow switch.

I did cut the wire and connected the 2 wires together.....bingo! The SWG started up fine. What's the risk of not using a flow sensor? I assume if there is not enough pressure I'd be able to tell in other ways like the pressure in the return lines.

I took out the mechanical switch and the paddle seemed ok. When I put it back in, everything worked. Maybe the paddle was just stuck. Wondering if I should just replace the switch anyway.

Now I have to figure out how to splice the wires back together that I cut to test it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Of it failed once, it's likely to fail again. Keep an eye on it. You can fix the wire with phone wire splice connectors. Easy and weatherproof. You should find them at Home Depot, Lowe's or Amazon. Ideal Yellow IDC Connectors (25 per Pack)-85-950 - The Home Depot

Oh well, it turns out I can't use those connectors. One side is 14 gauge and the other is 18 gauge. I'll have to find another way to splice the wires back. This is a picture of the connectors that are there. You can see the white wire is the one I need to splice back. I probably need to get a 14 gauge insulated female spade connector and an 18 gauge insulated male spade connector along with a crimping tool.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.