SWG recommendation please

Aug 8, 2018
Sanger TX
Hello folks,
I have a 16500 gallon in ground swimming pool that currently has a 7yr old pentair ic20 in place. All the lights are fine and reads salt water ppm just fine. It however is not producing chlorine anymore. Has anyone here used the generic drop in SWG made by splash brand?
Should I get rid of pentair and just go with a different brand altogether?
The current prices on pentair are ridiculous. I’m even considering converting to chlorine tabs.

T,

So, let me see if I have this correct. Your current IC20 is 7 years old. If you bought a new one today it would be about $900 bucks. Assuming it lasted for another 7 years that would be $130 bucks a year for all the chlorine your pool needs.

Sorry, but I just don't see the problem. :mrgreen:

I'd just as soon fill my pool in as have it not be a saltwater pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.

T,

So, let me see if I have this correct. Your current IC20 is 7 years old. If you bought a new one today it would be about $900 bucks. Assuming it lasted for another 7 years that would be $130 bucks a year for all the chlorine your pool needs.

Sorry, but I just don't see the problem. :mrgreen:

I'd just as soon fill my pool in as have it not be a saltwater pool.

Thanks,

Jim R.
plus like you say, I got in last night and felt clean not sticky

Also For an extra $100 u can have an ic40
- if it lasts 7yrs thats about $142/yr - pretty good deal
Tabs aren’t recommended for daily chlorination

Well the ic20 was always running at 100% and it would struggle to keep chlorine levels up with the Texas heat. I’d be looking at buying the ic40 this time around. The ph levels rise rapidly even with muratic acid/ sodium bisulfite locking it in. Texas heat is brutal.
I believe the ic40 runs in the $1500 range.
Is Hayward or jandy SWG’s a good alternative?

* Just saw the link where the ic40 is 1k* thanks.

Last edited:
T,

An IC40 is $1,100 or less. Where are you getting your pricing? All you need is the cell, not the cell and Power Center.

I agree that your cell is way too small for your pool. We always recommend a cell that is rated for at least 2 x the pool volume.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.