SWG Owners in Warm Climates: Remove Cell During Colder Months?

DanF

Silver Supporter
Mar 17, 2019
Chandler, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Hi,

I just installed a Circupool RJ45+ SWG and I am wondering whether it is beneficial to remove the cell during the colder months when the pool is still running...but either chlorine demands are very low or the SWG isn't producing chlorine due to low water temps.

Just an informal poll. If you do remove your cell, please indicate the reason, the duration, how/where you store it, and whether you clean it with MA prior it storage. If you don't remove the cell indicate why.

Thanks,
Dan

No. My IC40 generates chlorine for all but 6-8 weeks a year. And no chance of freezing. So why take it out?
You really do not want to clean the cell with acid unless you really need to. Each time you do, you reduce the life span of the cell. Maintain proper water chemistry and you should build little to no scale in your SWCG.

Reactions: DanF
Left mine in last off-season and it seemed to continue to generate chlorine. Can't see any real reason to remove it. I paid a lot of money for a salt system, why would I go to the hassle of manually dosing if I don't have to?

I am taking mine out, in Atlanta our low temp is unpredictable. I shut my pump and drain the pad around December and stay that way until March.
Our winters in Georgia are up and down, might get in the teens, and may never drop before 30..Never know

I am debating on this as well. I have the dummy cell, if I want to remove the SWCG, but up until this week, the cell has gone back and forth from generating to cold water shut off. In the next week or so, I expect we will get low enough temps that the cell will not be generating any more until next spring.

--Jeff

Reactions: markayash and DanF
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.