Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I'm looking for absolute newb help on tablets. I do all my own pool work and have the full TFT kit and am religious about chemistry. As I have SWG, I'm manually adding CYA in the Spring and constantly adding acid. I built my own acid dispenser that runs off of pump vacuum.

I'm in Texas, and I've been able to mostly get through winter without having to add chlorine, maybe a couple bottles when we have extended cold (SWG stops at 53F water temp). I'm considering switching to tabs for the winter to keep CYA a little and to lower pH a bit so I can rely less on SWG and my acid dispenser.

I've got no idea where to start. I was at Lowes website and can't even find what the chemistry of these are. I used the generic pool math and see the impact to pH, FC and CYA, but unsure what product to buy. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Clorox-Pool-Spa-5-lb-Bucket-1-in-Pool-Chlorine-Tabs/1001874024

I assume I get a floater and just throw it in and put the tabs in. How long do they take to dissolve, etc. Anyways, just looking for some basic help and see if anyone else is doing this in the winter?

DB,

I tried tabs, several years ago and still have half a bucket left. I could never get constant results, using a floater. It could just be me.. :mrgreen:

Even in the winter, I run my pump 24/7, so if I were to try tablets again, I think I would add them to a skimmer basket.

That said, I find adding liquid chlorine in the winter pretty easy as the pool does not use much FC at all.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I've got no idea where to start
Now you know how the FBI feels.

Tabs are fine when used for a reason like now. No 3 in 1s, 5 in 1s, Blue or Xtra Blue. All will have copper. You want plain Jane trichlor and pool math will tell you what each 8 oz puck will do.

The ones at big box stores are cheaper for a reason - less trichlor, more fillers, binders, and other ingredients you don't want.
Look at the ingredients - best always list tri-chlor at 99% (although the available Cl listed will likely be 90%).
Not sure why, but the previous owner (and therefore I) put tabs in a skimmer. Over the years, that skimmer had the plastic bottom pit and wear through. Pool guys said to never put chems directly into a skimmer.
Here's one source: Amazon.com

Can be hard to find sometimes - even pool stores like to push the ones that are diluted, and have extra additives., but are cheaper....

Thanks everyone. I do recall using tabs right when we filled the pool as we didn’t have salt in it. What I noticed was the tabs never really reduced in size while floating in the floating thing.

One reason I’m considering this is because I’m going away for 22days around the holidays. I’ll have a friend come by and check on things once in a while.

Putting tabs in a skimmer basket is not a good idea if the pump is not running 24/7...

That said, tab damage to the skimmer basket takes years and skimmer baskets are pretty darn cheap.

I believe that if you are going to use tabs, that floaters are the worst possible place to put them.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Use a tethered floater while on vacation. This eliminates the possibility of it getting stuck somewhere. I use fishing line to tie mine up when I’m gone. No risk to your equipment either.
Have your friend add some liquid chlorine while they’re there. 22 days is a long time for just a few tabs.
As mentioned get 99% trichlor so there’s no additives- these can be a little harder to find. May need to order them. The “house brands” usually have a 99% option- like doheny, in the swim. Or the clorox active 99 - none of the other clorox ones.

Reactions: newdude
If you have a power failure that lasts 22 days, then you will have a much bigger issue than the skimmer basket... :mrgreen:
Lol. A bad car accident can take out power for 12+ hours. I'd never leave tabs in my skimmer that long with the pump off. Sure people.*do*, but ignorance is bliss. I'd tie it up in a floater(s) instead, possibly a few feet out from a return for better water movement.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.