SWG not working

nyg2k

May 15, 2013
I have an Intex Crystal Clear 8110 SWG. It's about 4 years old. It is no longer producing chlorine. The low salt alarm sounds about 10 minutes into the cycle. I tested salt levels with the Taylor K-1766 test kit and all levels are right where they should be. Water is crystal clear. I've heard you can get the unit tested but I don't know of any pool store near me that does that. Pool dimensions are 18x12x52 above ground. I'm just using a floater with 3" chlorine tabs for now until I figure out my problem. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Intex SWCG units are not known for their longevity. Replacing it is your best option.

Be careful on the trichlor. The CYA will build up and you will be draining the pool.

Reactions: Mdragger88
If you could fill out your signature the information in it can help us provide you guidance.

Another Intex if you want low cost. A Circupool rated for 2X your pool volume if you want a more permanent device.

Where are you located? What kind of pump do you have? Do you run your pump 24 hours per day or a set time?

Ok -- so I would suggest the Edge 25 or RJ20+. Costs have gone up on these units this year. If you can install yourself you will save some money there.

I installed Circupool myself a little over a year ago and it's still producing great. There are several 3rd party brands out there that give you full warranty for DIY install. The warranty is very important since they can still have cell failures in the first couple of years. Major brands all reduce warranty for DIY dramatically so I wouldn't do a DIY with them. If you pay for the install this doesn't matter. I evaluated $/lb chlorine, warranty, and reputation here. When I checked these criteria got me to Circupool. Go to Discount Salt Pools comparison page for details that help you get most of the data easily. But do the comparison for yourself since prices and sales change a lot.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.