SWG not producing chlorine

Jun 3, 2014
Hollidaysburg, PA
I have a Circupool Si 30 cell that has stopped making chlorine. The display shows the volts and amps going up, but nothing is being created (salt 3300). I called up Discount Salt Pool, and the person on the phone said that he is 99% sure my problem is my phosphates are too high. I have never had my water in a pool store, but he suggests I take it there for phosphate testing. He said if its over 100, I need to get phosphate remover, and my SWCG will be back producing chlorine. He also mentioned about nitrates, but didn't give me a a target number. I did clean it at the end of last season, and I cleaned it the other day again. The solution didn't bubble much at all. That tells me it's pretty much clean.

Are they BSing me, so they don't have to replace my cell? I did a full sweep of tests and everything is within normal ranges. However, I can't test phosphates, or nitrates here at the house. Does anyone have any magic words I can say to them to get this thing replaced? Dumping bleach in every other day is getting old :D LOL

Thanks

Post the details of your TF-100 test results.

Phosphates is food for algae. Algae consumes your FC. Phosphates are not a problem if you maintain a proper FC level and never get algae growing. Getting rid of the phosphates will not get rid of the algae. Treat the disease - the likely algae.

Your cell is generating chlorine but something in your pool is consuming it at a greater rate then it can be produced.

How does your water look?

Hi Matt,
Just a thought based on something we learned about yesterday. Our water is very hard here, and we were told scale was probably the reason our salt cell wasn't producing chlorine - and that we should clean it monthly! We have a Pentair Intellichlor IC40. Sure enough, once we did that, we were back in business! Best wishes!

Hi Matt,
Just a thought based on something we learned about yesterday. Our water is very hard here, and we were told scale was probably the reason our salt cell wasn't producing chlorine - and that we should clean it monthly! We have a Pentair Intellichlor IC40. Sure enough, once we did that, we were back in business! Best wishes!

You should never need to clean your SWCG that often, or even at all. Each time you clean it with acid you reduce its life.

You should monitor and manage your CSI. Keeping it between -0.3 and 0.0 will keep your SWCG from getting scale on the plates.

See Pool School - Calcium Saturation Index (CSI))

Take care.

The odd thing is, I use to see bubbles come out the return jet, but this year I am not seeing anything. It has been at 100% for days now. My water is crystal clear too.

Here are my results:

FC - 10
CC - 0
PH - 7.5
Cal - 300
TA - 110
CYA - 50

These numbers are typical for me for the past 4 years using the TF-100

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.