SWG not producing chlorine - Resilience PSC3 with Solaxx A5 cell

Jul 19, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
I've owned the resilience system for many years and have been very happy with it. I've had to replace the cell a few times when the blades wore out. This summer chlorine production dropped dramatically, the middle plate seemed worn and so I bought a new A5 cell form Solaxx. Even with the new cell, it is generating exremely little chlorine - 0.5 after 12 hours at 100% - this would normally have me off the charts!
I have cheked the chemicals and I have enough salt - 3800ppm. TA was a little low at 50 but everything else looking good.
I believe the control board should be ok - the lights move up and down to 100% when I turn the control know. There are no error lights on.
The new cell looked a bit different to previous cells. The plates seemed to have a brown coating vs the silver/gray I'm used to seeing and a couple of notches cut in the end.
So, I called Solaxx. They are telling me it's due to chemical imbalance - probably total dissolved solids or nitrates. I had those measured and get 45-50 TDS (inc salt) and 30ppm for nitrates. However, those have likely been moving slowly over time and it seems unlikely to me that these are causing the near zero chlorine production.
Anyone have any thoughts, or guidance for me? Thx in advance!

Typically, if the SWCG is generating chlorine and there are no error lights, your situation points to algae in the water consuming your chlorine as fast as the SWCG can create it.

Can you post a full set of test results from your own test kit?

Typically, if the SWCG is generating chlorine and there are no error lights, your situation points to algae in the water consuming your chlorine as fast as the SWCG can create it.

Can you post a full set of test results from your own test kit?
The readings are as follows, taken using TF-100 Test Kit except "*" which was tested as Leslies
FC: 0.5ppm
pH: 7.2
TA: 90ppm
Calcium hardness: 350ppm
CYA: 70ppm
Salt: 3800ppm
Iron: 0.1ppm*
Copper: 0ppm*
Phosphates: 72ppb*
Total dissolved solids: 45-50*
Nitrates: 30ppm*

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Anytime FC gets close to 0 the water is likely to get algae.

Add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine daily until you sort out your SWG problem.
I had been adding shock which got the chlorine up to about 5 before and pool remains extremely clear. I really think there is something wrong with the cell (brown/ pattern on plate surface) but manufacturer is trying to point at Chems

I have been working with the SWG manufacturer as this is still not resolved. They are stating that the issue is the Nitrate level - 30ppm. Would this have a big impact on chlorine generation? I'm a little dubious about this measurement which was done at Leslies pool supply as it's not clear to me how nitrates could be getting in to the pool?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.