SWG newbie

Aug 10, 2007
long island, ny
hello folks! I'm upgrading my pump to super ll 2 hp. & plumbing from 1.5" to 2". Also converting to SWG. Q1: manuf recommend minimum length of piping, equivalent to 10 pipe diameters, be used between pump suction inlet & any plumbing fitting. so if i'm using 2' pipe, does that mean 2" x 10 = 20" of suction inlet pipe? Q2: I would like to install (parallel) my fairly new in-line auto chlorinator, "just in case" or plan B... Q3: how do i transition from chlorine to SWG, step by step, pls if possible. i'm sure these questions have been discussed before, kindly point me to the right direction. thanks so much...now back to digging!!

Measure for current salt level. Put in half the recommended salt and brush around. 24 hours later measure salt again. Test and add the recommended amount of salt to operating level, and brush. Wait 24 hours before you turn on the SWG, after the second addition.

If your pool is clean, clear and balanced then when you start adding salt add CYA to bring up to 70. When starting the CYA addition dose with liquid to the SWG target level, as you shouldn't use the SWG to try to increase from non-SWG to SWG targets.

The above I would do after the SWG arrives, and plumb it in in the two days you are adding the salt.

You could add the salt now. In that case hold on the CYA until the SWG arrives. As long as you know which one and what it requires, before you get it.

For self-install, if you want a decent warranty, would be to go with the RJ-60+. DE or LI not a factor.

Q1: manuf recommend minimum length of piping, equivalent to 10 pipe diameters, be used between pump suction inlet & any plumbing fitting. so if i'm using 2' pipe, does that mean 2" x 10 = 20" of suction inlet pipe?

Yes, that's right. I recently installed a pump. My manufacturer recommended 10" without regard to pipe size. 20" seems like a lot. They are trying to get turbulance out of the flow going into the pump.

Q2: I would like to install (parallel) my fairly new in-line auto chlorinator, "just in case" or plan B...

OK, but you're going to need to plumb in valves to select between the two. I don't think you'd want water flowing through both at the same time. It would make it difficult to set your SWCG.

At least with my SWCG, there are unions on both sides so that it can be easily removed for cleaning or winterizing. I bet you can find a chlorinator that would fit in that same space between the unions. Then, you can just physically replace the SWCG with the chlorinator for plan B.

Yes, that's right. I recently installed a pump. My manufacturer recommended 10" without regard to pipe size. 20" seems like a lot. They are trying to get turbulance out of the flow going into the pump.

OK, but you're going to need to plumb in valves to select between the two. I don't think you'd want water flowing through both at the same time. It would make it difficult to set your SWCG.

At least with my SWCG, there are unions on both sides so that it can be easily removed for cleaning or winterizing. I bet you can find a chlorinator that would fit in that same space between the unions. Then, you can just physically replace the SWCG with the chlorinator for plan B.
of course there will be isolation valves for both, swg & chlorinator. Also, Circupool rj60+ or pool pilot ppm3? pros & cons for each?

I'm curious.. If I am following you correctly you want to add your SWG to your system and leave the chlorinator in.. Why? You won't need a chlorinator if you have an SWG they would be redundant. AND you can take out the check valve before the chlorinator as well (if you have one)

BTW can you update your signature with your equipment and maybe post a few pics?-thx

Ok. that makes sense. I think I would use the floaty basket/skimmer basket for the short term. and Honestly once you get your SWG up and running you won't go back. My floaty has been sitting in the pool shed for 15 years since I converted to the SWG., Those biscuits will save forever, so perhaps you can use them to raise your CYA when you need to ...and in the meantime, dispense with the dispenser.. ;)

Reactions: binrocha

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.