SWG leaving white stuff (particles) in pool when running from jets...what is it?

crocop

May 5, 2016
Toronto
Hey guys.

I have a Jandy Aquapure EI for about 7 years now. First cell lasted like 5 years and no issue. Replaced it 2 years ago and no issue until when I opened the pool this year.

Water is crystal clear and passed the overnight test without issue...been running it on chlorine last few days. Went to fire up the SWG and first of all, i get a temperature error (water is like 60)...but when it does run (in middle of day when water reaches a bit higher..like 62-63), I see white stuff (like cloudyness or white tiny bubbles/particles) coming from the jets only when the SWG is on. And it goes around the whole pool. When I turn off the SWG, it clears up in minutes.

What is it? I cleaned the cell with vinegar by letting it sit for 3 hours, and the issue still persists...is it because its still too cold to run it? Should I wait until its warmer and running normally before I replace the cell? I do not ever recall that issue before, but also never opened to such a cold pool before..

Has anyone ever heard of this?

All my pool numbers are right on...using a taylor kit.

Thanks!

I see white stuff (like cloudyness or white tiny bubbles/particles) coming from the jets only when the SWG is on. And it goes around the whole pool. When I turn off the SWG, it clears up in minutes.

What is it?

That is probably calcium carbonate precipitation from the SWG.

Read TA - Further Reading

All my pool numbers are right on...using a taylor kit.

Please share, especially your TA...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
WATER TEMP
CSI

That is probably calcium carbonate precipitation from the SWG.

Read TA - Further Reading

Please share, especially your TA...

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
WATER TEMP
CSI

Hey thanks....my TA is 70....that seems fine no?

Here are my numbers as of today..just finished slamming a few days ago..

FC: 8
CC: 0
pH: 7.2
TA: 70
CH: 80
CYA: 40
Water temp: 62
salt: Approx 4000 (as per my SWG reco)
CSI: not sure.....

I am no pro, but from what I see on this forum those numbers seem okay no? Again, it only happens when my SWG is on...but hasnt happened in last 7 years...so I am perplexed.

Didnt even go to pool store as I assume they wouldnt be much help

I suspect this is the phenomenon we see occasionally in the spring. Cold water and certain chemistry conditions create these tiny bubbles when the SWCG operates. They disappear on their own as you stated.
So nothing to do and there is no harm. It will clear up as the water warms.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suspect this is the phenomenon we see occasionally in the spring. Cold water and certain chemistry conditions create these tiny bubbles when the SWCG operates. They disappear on their own as you stated.
So nothing to do and there is no harm. It will clear up as the water warms.

ok...thanks! the water is pretty cold and I have usually not opened this early in the past (and its unusually cold in Toronto at this time). Will wait a month and reassess then if problem persists...thanks!

Reactions: mknauss
Also, your CSI is -1.42, which is quite corrosive.

Corrosive is the wrong terminology.

Low CSI can cause etching in plaster surfaces. It is not corrosive and will not damage any equipment.

Low pH is corrosive and can damage equipment, especially gas heat exchangers.

Corrosive and etching are two very different things.

Reactions: PointeTaken
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.