SWG - Justchlor J100SC - Earth probe covered in deposit?

YonnyPiscinas

Jan 10, 2020
Uruguay - SA
Hi all

I have a J100SC justchlor SWG - self-cleaning cells.
I have noticed a big deposit on what seems to be an earth probe. The wire leading to it is the typical yellow/green color and seems to be just a grounding probe.
Does it have any other purpose?

I ask this due to the large calcium/mineral deposits stuck on it. Do I need to clean this off? Will it have any effect on the performance of the SWG or is it just for safety grounding?

1646752428153.png

1646752404501.png

1646752439926.png
Many thanks

Just found this in a manual online:

3. SC MAINTENANCE PROCESS • Turn OFF the Pump power supply which feeds the chlorinator. • Unscrew the electrode from the housing - cables intact. • With your fingers, remove the calcium deposit (stalactite formation) from the short round pin adjacent to the electrode plates.

So yes looks like mine is completely covered and needs cleaning

Reactions: Newdude and mknauss
I'm beginning to think the cell is at the end of its life now. Water needs 6000ppm for it to work optimally (yes much higher than others I know).

I have test strips that only measure to 5000 and looks like it's more than 5000.
The test button on the equipment only shows 70-75% salt level.

Some mist/bubbles coming from the plates not no way as it used to be when we moved in mid-2018. It had plenty of years of use with the previous owner also.

I guess it's probably not worth buying a new cell for old technology (they do have them available here).

The new SWG's I see only need about 3000 ppm of salt to work.

I'll perform the salt calibration test first - 2.5 litres of water and 3 spoons of salt to measure 6000ppm I believe.

A new cell is around 525 USD

I see a little screen on the left side of your SWCG controller. Can you generate any diagnostics?

I see a little screen on the left side of your SWCG controller. Can you generate any diagnostics?
Yes, it has 4 levels, on 4 it should show 100% but only shows 50% output.

It has a test setting for the salt level - If I select that it only measures about 70-75%. But the water has a ton of salt in it, the pentair salt strips (not cheap) only measure to 5000 and it was above that.
If the cell is failing then I assume these measurements will not be accurate.

I think I'll need to perform the salt calibration test in a bottle with 2.5 litres of water and 3 teaspoons.(6%).

Thanks

Last edited:
I suspect the cell is failing.
yep me too, unfortunately. Well, it's had a good life of about 12-14 years I suspect.

Bad timing also as I just had many car repairs done (A/C compressor among other jobs), plus the house water heater.

Everything seems to fail at the same time.

We're coming to the end of summer here so if I can stretch it out until next Spring at least then invest in new equipment or a cell for this one.

Reactions: Newdude and mknauss
Hard to say -- some controllers do have failure problems but they typically are more dramatic than a slow failure like you are seeing.

At that age, it might be wise to get a complete new system. Not sure what is available in your area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hard to say -- some controllers do have failure problems but they typically are more dramatic than a slow failure like you are seeing.

At that age, it might be wise to get a complete new system. Not sure what is available in your area.
Some common makes like Pentair, Zodiac, Blue works, Laswim,
AutoChlor and JustChlor complete systems.

Pentair, Zodiac Ei2-12 or JustChlor J100SC seem to appear the best quality pieces.

But the Zodiac says their cell lasts for 7500 hours which seems very low.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.