SWG Generator Running Hot after New Salt Cell Installed

lodi

Bronze Supporter
Jun 26, 2019
Atlanta
Disclaimer: I'm pretty new to taking care of my own pool. After running some tests behind the pool co. I quickly learned that my chemical levels were not Ideal so I decided it was time to take things over. My first order was to replace my Jandy Aquapure 1400 Salt Cell. I was getting a service light and error codes. After reading a number of posts replacing it seemed fairly straight forward. Sure enough, I installed the new unit a week ago and everything appeared to be in good order, although the salinity level was low (<2500), so I added Salt.

On Sunday I tested my water again and the salinity was still low @ 2500 per my test kit. I went to the pool store and they confirmed my reading. However, the Jandy SWG identified the level at like 3300 or 3400. I added a few bags of salt per the store's recommendation. This caused a warning on the Jandy SWG, indicating that the salinity was too high ( around 3800). In reality, it was at or slightly below 3500. Its currently at 3300 (Jandy thinks its 3700).

Since Sunday I noticed that the whole Jandy system has shut down a few times - the whole panel goes dark. When this happens, I power cycle the unit (breaker off and back on) and everything comes back up for a few hours. Just now I noticed things were off again. When I removed the covers on the panel I found that the SWG transformer was quite warm. Would this trip a cutoff of some sort? Is the higher salinity level that the SWG is reading causing it to overheat? Transformer going bad? BTW, I have the Salinity set at 70% because chlorine was low due to the malfunction of the old salt cell.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated?

Thanks,

Dave

If the cell salinity reads higher then actual salt test you just keep the SWG happy and don’t go over its recommended level.

You need to drain some water to make the SWG happy.

You can make a warranty claim with Jandy and see what they say. It may be a defective tri-sensor .

I'd like to confirm that the salinity level could cause an issue before I get into draining water. Its only slightly over. Good thought on the sensor. I have another one from the unit I replaced so that would be easy to test. Unrelated, I went through the panel and tightened all of the screw lugs. Some had come quite loose over time. Maybe a poor connection attributed to the issue. Thanks!

Well, I don't think it had anything to do with the salinity. I had two issues. First, I inadvertently switched to Schedule B and the schedule was fighting with a schedule in my home automation system, so I suspect this was turning the unit off. Second, I had quite a few lugs in my panel that were a turn or more loose. I suspect a poor connection was causing the transformer to heat up. All is fine now.

Reactions: mguzzy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.