SWG for rookies question

Jul 21, 2013
Philly
I chose the circupool core 55 for ease. Very simple install and just plug it in. 15 minutes i was done. So yesterday i added 14 bags of salt. Let it circulate for 24hrs. Came out this morning and tested all levels and they looked good to me so i started the swg at 75%. Let me know if i need any changes. Oh and i did add a little liquid chlorine to bring the level up to 4 as its sunny and 91° todah. 19C2AA13-FD51-4AFE-B825-B8EB2B0F5C55.jpeg
Pool
5/26/19
Chlorine 1
Ph 7.5
Ch 425
Ta 100
Cya 65
Salt 4200ppm

That installation looks nice, but i dont see a check valve after the heater, you need that. You also need to add more chlorine, aim for 7ppm. TA will come down with time. Let PH drift to see where it likes to stay, if 8 or above add MA to lower and aerate to lower TA. Repeat until PH finds its sweet spot.

That installation looks nice, but i dont see a check valve after the heater, you need that. You also need to add more chlorine, aim for 7ppm. TA will come down with time. Let PH drift to see where it likes to stay, if 8 or above add MA to lower and aerate to lower TA. Repeat until PH finds its sweet spot.
My spot spot seems to be 8.2 i am constantly lowering it with ma. I saw pool school say keep the fc at 4-6 so thats why i aimed for that. Yes no check valve after heater. Not sure i ever saw anyones pool with one. At least not around me. Why do you need a chexk valve?

No need for a check valve between a SWCG and a heater. That is a carryover practice from Trichlor feeders.

How are you making sure the SWCG is fully powered off when the pump is not running?

Yes. But your choice. They can explode. Rare, but happens. The link was from a week ago. Pentair SWCG. Flow switch failed.

Reactions: Mical718

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am looking at adding a system in the next few months and am confussed about one part..I run my pump at low 4 psi 24x7 most of the year, does a SWG read and adjust it's self or is it running when turned on?
I like running the pump mainly because of the water fall and for me its easier to keep the water sparkling :)

I have a 18000 Plaster pool and looking at the Circupool Rj-30

The SWCG runs when the pump is running at a sufficient rate and you have the power turned on to it. You set the % setting along with pump run time to create the amount of chlorine you need each day. The SWCG creates that same amount of chlorine each day until you change the settings.

Reactions: markayash
Would having too much chlorine be a concern in general? I did see in the manual it had a winters mode thays half of normal output. I guess i could shut the pump off from midnight till 6am if needed.
Thanks!

You test your FC as often as needed to adjust the SWCG output.

Most SWCG shut down at a water temperature of 60F.

You could install a timer to control power to the SWG.

I am looking at adding a system in the next few months and am confussed about one part..I run my pump at low 4 psi 24x7 most of the year, does a SWG read and adjust it's self or is it running when turned on?
I like running the pump mainly because of the water fall and for me its easier to keep the water sparkling :)

I have a 18000 Plaster pool and looking at the Circupool Rj-30

With you being in Georgia (hot and humid), you may be better served with the RJ45 instead of the RJ30. Even though you are running the pump 24/7, you can (and should) have the SWG on a dedicated timer. Running the SWG for 20 hours per day at 30% produces as much chlorine as running it for 10 hours per day at 60%. Having a larger capacity cell allows running at a lower percentage, effectively allowing the cell to last longer.

During times when running the SWG, you may need to increase the pump RPM to allow the SWG flow switch to close. You will just need to experimemt to see what that RPM is.

I believe Discount Salt Pools is running their $1 upgrade right now. You can get the RJ 45 for one dollar more than the RJ30.

If you read the wiring installation again, you will see that it is BEST to wire the SWG with the pump power wiring so they will both always be on at the same time.

I suggest for you to look into a relay from the pump power to your SWG power.

I would not trust the health of my SWG to a flow switch. I would wire in clock.
For example, I have a VS pump with a solar control only (IOW, no automation), so I programmed in a speed boost from 1 PM to 6PM with the SWG controlled by an Intermatic timer switching on the SWG from 1:30PM to 5:30PM.

Reactions: proavia
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.