clem1985

Apr 28, 2021
oklahoma
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, I have a 6100gal above ground pool. Recently added a Intex swg. First season using one. It's been great so far. Current CYA of 55-60. Ph 7.6. pool math app says I should be shooting for 7fc. I've been measuring almost daily for the last 2 weeks just to get a baseline of where the FC levels are holding at the start of the day and end of the day. I've been starting and ending roughly around 8.5fc so basically no FC loss that I'm aware of. but I've noticed the last few days it's been much higher of around 11fc. I even tested twice to verify the fc level. I'm using a Taylor kit.

What would cause a jump in FC levels? Temps have been up and down the past week. With more rain than usual.

How do I know how much to reduce swg run time to bring it down some? I know from other threads concerning Intex swg that they run 100% cell all the time as there is not way to adjust. But you are able to adjust run time.

So, I have a 6100gal above ground pool. Recently added a Intex swg. First season using one. It's been great so far. Current CYA of 55-60. Ph 7.6. pool math app says I should be shooting for 7fc. I've been measuring almost daily for the last 2 weeks just to get a baseline of where the FC levels are holding at the start of the day and end of the day. I've been starting and ending roughly around 8.5fc so basically no FC loss that I'm aware of. but I've noticed the last few days it's been much higher of around 11fc. I even tested twice to verify the fc level. I'm using a Taylor kit.

What would cause a jump in FC levels? Temps have been up and down the past week. With more rain than usual.

How do I know how much to reduce swg run time to bring it down some? I know from other threads concerning Intex swg that they run 100% cell all the time as there is not way to adjust. But you are able to adjust run time.
Just turn it down some and test again in a day or two. If its still rising, adjust some more. Then as the days get hotter, youll be doing thr opposite.

I have the intex SWG as well. In the manual he tells you how long to run the SWG in relation to the size of your pool and model number of the SWG. I have the one for up to 15k gallons and he tells me to run mine for 9 hrs a day with the pump at 12 hrs with the Intex xtr 18ftx52" pool.

In the manual he tells you how long to run the SWG in relation to the size of your pool and model number of the SWG
Daily FC loss changes throughout the season. It's low in the beginning and end and peaks in the middle like a bell curve.

Daily loss is far less in Toronto than it is in Texas, for any point in the season, although they both bell curve in their own regard.

You adjust the cell to match the recent daily loss and you get 2 to 6 weeks per adjustment.

The industry just one size fits all, for everything, when no two pools are the same. 2 neighbors can have entirely different experiences when the trees between you shade his pool and the wind blows all the crud your way. You have full sun and high FC loss with lots of filtering need, and he has low FC loss and little filtering need.

I have the intex SWG as well. In the manual he tells you how long to run the SWG in relation to the size of your pool and model number of the SWG. I have the one for up to 15k gallons and he tells me to run mine for 9 hrs a day with the pump at 12 hrs with the Intex xtr 18ftx52" pool.
Your pool is approximately 7600 gallons.
That unit puts out 12 grams/hr of chlorine- this equates to 0.0264555 lbs/hr. Or roughly 0.2ppm fc per hour in your pool.
That means that in 12 hours it will increase your fc by approximately 2.4ppm which may not be sufficient to maintain target fc levels in the heat of the summer.
See —> FC/CYA Levels
The average fc loss per day in an algae free pool can be up to 4 or 5ppm/day in sunny hot Texas in the summer.
Not sure which unit you have but most of those only allow you to program them to run the swcg 11 or 12 hours per day unless in boost mode (which just makes it run longer once & then turn off). You may need to supplement with liquid chlorine & also keep your cya around 80ppm to help protect more of the fc that the unit produces.
* BEFORE increasing cya that high ALWAYS do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out algae incase you need to do a
SLAM Process first which is easier to accomplish at lower cya levels.
If you’re ever behind with fc ALWAYS dose with liquid chlorine first then adjust the swcg- as you can see it would take a long time for that unit to make up for a deficit & nasties can grow in the meantime.