SWG FC levels

I was able to finagle the Intellichlor horizontally in my plumbing with a little bit of work, and even managed 12 inches of horizontal run before the SWG. I wired it to my old Internatic pump timer and put the dogs on it so that it will turn on and shut off with a little bit of offset from the Intelliflo's schedule. I discovered the pool boy that installed the Intelliflo was lazy and had wired it to the load side of the timer and just took the dogs off, so I moved the pump over to the line side.

I dumped 346 lbs. of salt and 4 lbs. of CYA (still need a bit more, but that's all I had) into the pool, mixed it up and fired up the SWG. I ran it at 1150 RPM (which is only 100W on my system) for the entire time the pool was in direct sun. With CYA at around 60 and the SWG operating at 60% I was able to maintain FC levels steady during the day.

The flow switch on my unit is very sensitive. I took the pump all the way down to 11 GPM and the flow switch did not shut off. I started to worry so I shut the pump off to test and immediately that flow switch tripped. Is a flow that low dangerous? Even that low of a flow is still about 1 foot per second in 2" plumbing so I wouldn't think anything could build up in the SWG. I'd love to flow super low during times I'm just adding FC and not trying to actually filter.

I'd love to flow super low during times I'm just adding FC and not trying to actually filter.
sbc,

Not sure what that means? If the pump is running, you are filtering.

Obviously, it is your pool, and you can run it anyway you want, but it does not make a lot of sense to me to run the pump if you are not making chlorine and skimming. I would not run at a speed that does not do both.

Anyway, it sounds like you have most of it whipped into shape.. Good job!! :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Obviously, it is your pool, and you can run it anyway you want, but it does not make a lot of sense to me to run the pump if you are not making chlorine and skimming. I would not run at a speed that does not do both.
I always enjoy experimenting with pushing the envelope of efficiency. If I can accomplish my objectives for $1 less, I'll do it. I factor in lots of variables, such as operational expenses, prorated equipment cost, and cost avoidance. I'm an analyst by profession, so it comes naturally 😁

If I can make a hybrid schedule of low speed chlorine production and add skimming time as needed it may save me a couple bucks on power, especially during those times it's 65 cents per kWh.

I'm also going to push the envelope on CYA levels to minimize SWG run time to prolong service life. Hopefully when this cell bombs out there won't be supply chain issues anymore. Even if it died the day after the warranty was up I would still be far ahead of liquid chlorine expenses, and that's ignoring personal time running to the store every week and dosing every night. At today's prices this cell will produce about $6,750 worth of chlorine over 10,000 hours.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.