Agoura Hills, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hello! First post here, I've found these forums extremely helpful, thank you!

I have a 16k gallon pool, and am working with my pool servicer to consider SWG options...checking here to get a 2nd opinion.

He has recommended either the Pentair Intellichlor ($2,200 parts/labor), the Jandy Aquapur ($2,100 parts/labor), or the Jandy TruClear ($1,300 parts/labor). Any advice on which to choose? Pretty big cost savings with TruClear, but not sure about durability.

Also, my initial pool inspection before we bought the house a few months ago said the filter (Pentair SMBW 2060) is not recommended for SWG due to being stainless steel. Is this true? Would I need to also change out my filter if I switch to SWG?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP.

You do not mention any automation system. If you have one - it is best to match the mfg. of your automation to your SWCG. However, not mandatory. I would not get the Jandy TruClear - some poor reviews on the forum and other places I looked. I am installing a Jandy AquaPure 1400 (rated to 40k gals) for my 15k gal pool. You want a 2x rating as a minimum. A Pentair IC40 would also be good choice for you. Either Pentair or Jandy are major brands, and you are paying for installation I assume along with getting the full warranty from either company.

Since you are using liquid chlorine now - you may have high salt - mine is 2600ppm just by using LC for years. So, upping to 3000ppm for SWCG should not have any adverse effects on your filter if it has been functioning now with LC. You be surprised if your test your salt level now before you install a SWCG.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Welcome to TFP.

You do not mention any automation system. If you have one - it is best to match the mfg. of your automation to your SWCG. However, not mandatory. I would not get the Jandy TruClear - some poor reviews on the forum and other places I looked. I am installing a Jandy AquaPure 1400 (rated to 40k gals) for my 15k gal pool. You want a 2x rating as a minimum. A Pentair IC40 would also be good choice for you. Either Pentair or Jandy are major brands, and you are paying for installation I assume along with getting the full warranty from either company.

Since you are using liquid chlorine now - you may have high salt - mine is 2600ppm just by using LC for years. So, upping to 3000ppm for SWCG should not have any adverse effects on your filter if it has been functioning now with LC. You be surprised if your test your salt level now before you install a SWCG.
Thank you! No automation at this time, it’s manual timers. I must have accidentally selected liquid chlorine, we are actually using chlorine tablets. I haven’t tested the salt level yet but will have the pool servicer do that. He will be installing so I get the full warranty.

Thanks! What is your opinion regarding the filter?
That is a 20 year old discontinued model filter. By the time salt affects it you should be replacing it anyway. I would switch to the SWG and see how long the Pentair SMBW 2060 hold up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.