SWG Conversion

jscottou22

Apr 28, 2019
Lantana, TX
So this is my 3rd swim season with my pool, and I have not had 1 single issue with my water chemistry (thanks to this site). I am now ready to install a salt water generator, mainly because I am getting tired of driving all over town every week trying to find liquid chlorine.

I reached out to Discount Salt Pool, and they recommended either the CircuPool Universal 25 or the RJ-30 models. After reading up on SWGs here, I am thinking that my best bet is to aim high and go for at least 40,000 gallons (considering a 12,000 ga pool and the Texas climate). I currently run my pump for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening, and I really don't want to have to run it a ton more than that if I can help it.

My question is, is my above thinking correct on treatment capacity? And does anyone have any experience with the Universal models of SWGs? I am leaning towards the UL-40.

I can't help you with the UL series, but I wanted to remind you that you can use the PoolMath APP's "Effects of Adding" to see how any model SWG will impact FC based on output settings and run time. That should help you quite a bit.

Reactions: jscottou22
Hey J !! The bigger unit produces more and therefore needs to run less. They have an expected lifespan of 10k hours (give or take) and the larger unit will last that much longer. Producing more also means you have more options with pump run time when you make the daily amount you need in less time.

Upgrading works in your favor heavily. Going up a size costs about 20 % but gets you 60% more lifespan going from the 25k to 40K model.

In TX you will need more FC daily than most of the country. I would have gone 3X in NY in a heartbeat if I could have, but they didn’t make one big enough. In TX it would be an even bigger no-brainer IMHO.

I currently run my pump for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening, and I really don't want to have to run it a ton more than that if I can help it.
If you run the system with that little run time, follow the liquid chlorine FC chart. You will not be adding chlorine in a manner consistent with normal SWCG operations.

If you run the system with that little run time, follow the liquid chlorine FC chart. You will not be adding chlorine in a manner consistent with normal SWCG operations
Nice save as always Marty !!

So J, The ‘right sized’ unit for you needs to run 24 hours to produce enough FC for the average pool. A 2X unit needs 12 hours and a 3X unit needs 8 hours.

Again, during the peak TX season you will probably need to increase the runtime at 2X and 3X to keep up. At 1X you would have to supplement with liquid chlorine any days that the unit didn’t produce to your needs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.