SWG chlorine levels

Just out of curiosity......does anyone have any idea how much FC could be "consumed" after heavy rains sweep over a screened in pool enclosure? I'm talking about 2+ inches bringing in God knows what trapped on the screens over the pool. I still think that may be what lowered my FC below target and allowed further contamination. I only run my chlorine generator about 9 hours per day. This time of year I may have to re-think that. Maybe add some time overnight. And no, I don't have a VS pump. Maybe someday.

Sorry, another update. Water started to look a bit cloudy. I don't see any algae on walls or in corners. And I brushed, vacuumed, and cleaned the filter. Never saw clouds of debris. FC never got below 4. But it was evident the salt cell was struggling to keep up as I was adding both run time and percentage. Here's a breakdown:
Last Sat evening FC-7
Sun morn FC-6
Mon morn 5.5
Tue morn 4.5
Adjusted percentage up
Wed morn 5
Thur morn 4.5
Thur night 6.5
Adjusted run time up
Fri morn 4
Added 24oz of bleach to get level up
Fri night 6
Sat morn 3
These results are from noon Friday:
TA 80
CH 350
CYA 70
FC 5
pH 7.2
I never see CC above 0.5. Any ideas why the SWG isn't keeping up?

Last edited:
check you pH. Get that square, and make sure it is stable w/ baking soda (test). then i have my chlorine in there. ..when it's hot, i'll just dump a gallon of Mur Acid in at least every week, i've measured it enough to know that it will need it. I do an "audit" measure every so often, but it is always about what i figure it is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do me a favor, turn the SWG on at 100% write down all of the diagnostic numbers. Turn the SWG switch off and then back on and after the click write down all of the diagnostic numbers again and report them here.

Did the pool pass the OCLT this last SLAM?

Yeah from the Chlorine/CYA chart, 3 is the minimum FC level for SWCG pools. Target is 5. Might have just been skirting the edge a bit too much.

SWCG Pools

CYA (Stabilizer)Minimum FCTarget FCSLAM FC
60*3424

Sorry, another update. I have played around with my FC levels for the past month. It seems I'm able to hold 13 with no trouble. Once I creep down to the 10 level things start going south. I have a suspicion that a cracked glass block in my spa spillover (I hadn't noticed before) might have some algae in it. It's an extremely small crack, but it doesn't take much. I'm going to keep this level until (if) I can get the block replaced. Then I'll mess with it again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.