SWG Cell Cleaning

Welcome to the forum!
10:1 water to acid. Rinse out immediately when fizzing stops. Best to not use acid at all. Try to clean out with a popsicle stick or other non metallic instrument and use water stream.
Manage your water chemistry and you should never have to clean out a SWCG cell.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

How to Clean a SWG Cell​

You should only clean a SWG cell if it has visible scale on the plates.

First try and use strong blasts of water to remove the scale.

You can scrape the plates with a stick, like a Popsicle stick, to remove the scale.

If the scale is stubborn then use cleaning vinegar (6% acetic acid … available in Home Depot). It’s milder than Muriatic Acid and won’t damage the ruthenium surface. Highly concentrated mineral acids are not good for the transition metal catalysts.

Cleaning a SWG cell with Muriatic Acid will remove some of the rare earth coating from the plates and reduce the life of the cell with every cleaning.

Reactions: Chuckiechan

How to Clean a SWG Cell​

You should only clean a SWG cell if it has visible scale on the plates.

First try and use strong blasts of water to remove the scale.

You can scrape the plates with a stick, like a Popsicle stick, to remove the scale.

If the scale is stubborn then use cleaning vinegar (6% acetic acid … available in Home Depot). It’s milder than Muriatic Acid and won’t damage the ruthenium surface. Highly concentrated mineral acids are not good for the transition metal catalysts.

Cleaning a SWG cell with Muriatic Acid will remove some of the rare earth coating from the plates and reduce the life of the cell with every cleaning.
31% Muriatic Acid - What's the correct dilution for cleaning a SWG Cel?
I use the tightest spray water nozzle pattern and use a hook tool where chunks get caught in the plastic plates. I suggest that your goal should be “good enough” rather than over doing it and shortening the life of the cell. Best practices is to keep you chemistry right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.