SWG brands

Mar 14, 2017
Charleston, sc
I’ve been wanting to switch to a SWG but every single system I’ve looked up has horrible reviews, they seem to only last 1-2 years at best. If you’ve had a system longer than 3 years that hasn’t given you problems, please share.

I have a rectangular above ground 10,000 gal pool

Where are you seeing those reports? Not on this site. Most SWCG problems are because pool owners do not understand how they work and they do not control the pH.
Most of the Members on this forum that have SWCG would not have a pool without one. Me included. Mine is 5 years old. No issues. Never have had to clean scale out of it because the water chemistry is managed to TFP standards.

Hi Moni
Without knowing the history behind the usage of those folks SWG's, their reviews are worthless. Maybe they ruined them because of poor pH. Maybe the the calcium buildup out of the scale with a screwdriver and ruined them... its easy to flat out screw up something then claim its not their fault if one happens to be a bonified idiot, which unfortunately abound within mankind.

Or maybe the SWG was too small for their pool and worked itself to death.

So my SWG is 5 yrs old and no problems, not even 1. Its a Pentair IC40.

A SW system should be sized at a minimum, 1.5x the size of your pool or better yet, 2x.
The larger the cell, the less hard it has to work which equals a longer life span. If you dont go by this rule on sizing the SWG, you'll be sorry.

Where are you seeing those reports? Not on this site. Most SWCG problems are because pool owners do not understand how they work and they do not control the pH.
Most of the Members on this forum that have SWCG would not have a pool without one. Me included. Mine is 5 years old. No issues. Never have had to clean scale out of it because the water chemistry is managed to TFP standards.

What brand is yours and where can I learn about proper maintenance for the SWG? Also what’s the pH recommendation for SWG?

Hi Moni
Without knowing the history behind the usage of those folks SWG's, their reviews are worthless. Maybe they ruined them because of poor pH. Maybe the the calcium buildup out of the scale with a screwdriver and ruined them... its easy to flat out screw up something then claim its not their fault if one happens to be a bonified idiot, which unfortunately abound within mankind.

Or maybe the SWG was too small for their pool and worked itself to death.

So my SWG is 5 yrs old and no problems, not even 1. Its a Pentair IC40.

A SW system should be sized at a minimum, 1.5x the size of your pool or better yet, 2x.
The larger the cell, the less hard it has to work which equals a longer life span. If you dont go by this rule on sizing the SWG, you'll be sorry.

That’s very helpful to know and it makes sense, thank you.

What brand is yours and where can I learn about proper maintenance for the SWG? Also what’s the pH recommendation for SWG?
As you can see in my signature (if you are viewing the forum on phone, turn the phone sideways to see our signatures) I have a Pentair IC40.
To keep the SWCG scale free you use CSI - Calcium Saturation Index (CSI) - Trouble Free Pool. It is a calculated parameter that is provided to you via http://www.troublefreepool.com/poolmath/. By keeping CSI in the 0 to -0.3 range the scaling tendency in the SWCG is reduced such that the self cleaning process of the SWCG keeps itself free of calcium scale. CSI use your CH, pH, TA, water temperature, and the other parameters you test, to determine its value. pH and TA followed by CH are the greatest factors in determining CSI.

Moni.

Just to pile on... My personal guess is that 75% of all SWCG failures are not because the SWCG failed, but rather that the owner failed the SWCG... :mrgreen:

If you are buying a SWCG because you have heard you just install it and you are done with pool maintenance, that is flat out wrong.. The SWCG just adds the chlorine your pool needs, you still have to perform all of the same routine tests that you have been doing, and keep the water balanced..

The SWCG is dumb as a rock.. It has no brain and just does what you tell it to do... You have to monitor you pools FC level and adjust the cell's output up or down to keep the FC in the range you want. You are the SWCG's brain..

Here is a good cell comparison chart Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

I too would not have a pool if it were not a saltwater pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

As you can see in my signature (if you are viewing the forum on phone, turn the phone sideways to see our signatures) I have a Pentair IC40.
To keep the SWCG scale free you use CSI - Calcium Saturation Index (CSI) - Trouble Free Pool. It is a calculated parameter that is provided to you via http://www.troublefreepool.com/poolmath/. By keeping CSI in the 0 to -0.3 range the scaling tendency in the SWCG is reduced such that the self cleaning process of the SWCG keeps itself free of calcium scale. CSI use your CH, pH, TA, water temperature, and the other parameters you test, to determine its value. pH and TA followed by CH are the greatest factors in determining CSI.
Thank you, that is very helpful

So what is the recommended pH for a SWG? I just checked mine and it just dropped to 7 so I need to raise it but want to make sure I’m doing it right

pH in the 7's.
You are sharing your Poolmath logs but there is no data there. If you record your tests and chemical additions it can be useful when you ask questions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My ph was between 8 and 8.2 and my swcg lasted 6 seasons. One of the quirks about my using Bioguard. Never fluctuates but always a tad high. I never once had any buildup on my IC60 and i unfortunately was instructed wrong originally so i acid washed it with straight acid at the halfway and end of each season. It never once fizzed and was always shiny inside. Also i was told to use boost mode once a week no matter what Now i know to use half acid and only if it looks like it needs it. Im expecting my new IC60 to last much longer.

My T15 is starting its 6th year. I expect it won't last too much longer, but it has not given me any trouble. The controller had a fried component that I replaced for $2.50. A common fault with the Hayward controllers.

Reactions: Moniyque
My ph was between 8 and 8.2 and my swcg lasted 6 seasons. One of the quirks about my using Bioguard. Never fluctuates but always a tad high. I never once had any buildup on my IC60 and i unfortunately was instructed wrong originally so i acid washed it with straight acid at the halfway and end of each season. It never once fizzed and was always shiny inside. Also i was told to use boost mode once a week no matter what Now i know to use half acid and only if it looks like it needs it. Im expecting my new IC60 to last much longer.

Thank you for sharing, that’s very encouraging

Be aware that CSI changes a lot with temperature. IMO, CSI can be a moving target, so you want to concentrate on staying in the proper range.

BTW, I pull my SWG cell out when the temperature starts to fall. I bought a dummy insert for $20 something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.