SWG and VSP Pentair Confusion

bigwig001

Jul 3, 2020
Suffolk, VA
Hi All!

New pool owner, construction complete 27 May 2021. 16k gallon SW Pool.

I did a search but cannot locate my issues.

1. Our system consists of Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair Superflo VST Pump, and Pentair Easytouch Control System for Pool and Spa 5K42 (no spa with our build).
2. Our pool pump runs 24 hours a day. 8 high speed, 8 mid, and 8 low.
3. The PB states the pump cannot be controlled via the control system as this model lacks that feature without installing additional relays to control the pump. I cannot determine if this is accurate. Right now, I have to control the pump via the control panel on the pump. THoughts?
4. Our SWG turns off every 12 hours or so. Cannot figure out why. It is wired to the filter pump relay, but without the pump controlled via the control panel, I am not sure this is the correct wiring.
5. I can control the "on and off" function of the SWG via the Screenlogic app and desktop client, however, that happens via the "Pool" section, and tapping the Pool icon at the top. The Intellichlor section reads correctly.
6. The "Spa" section on the Screenlogic app is able to be "hidden" via the config menus of the screen logic desktop client, and it does disappear for a short time (1 hour or so) then re-appears.
7. All other areas seem to work correctly. No heater installed, Globrite LEDs, deck jets with automated actuator valve (although not able to adjust pump, see above), extra power/lighting outlets controlled via the app.

Our PB has been great so far and responsive and helpful, however, this is the area that they seem to be lacking in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you have the SuperFlo VST and it was manufactured after November of 2020, in theory, it should have the RS-485 communications option. Check and see when it was made.

I suspect your SWCG is turning off because of programming... Show me your schedules.. Like this..

The SuperFlo without RS-485 was just the absolutely wrong pump for your set up.. What was your pool builder thinking??? :scratch: If your pump does not have RS-485, you will never be happy with its operation.. Get your pool builder to cut you a deal on an IntelliFlo replacement.

You should run the pump for a reason.. Not just because... Tell us what RPM you are running for High, Med and Low and what you hope to accomplish with each one. There is just no logic behind 8 hours at High, 8 hours at Med, and 8 hours at Low..

In my mind, if the pump is running, the cell should be making chlorine.. You should adjust the SWCG's output % instead of trying to turn the cell on or off.

I suspect that it has been turning off after 12 hours because you keep turning it on manually.. This means the system will turn it off when the 12 hour egg-timer counts down to zero.

Is your SWCG's power center inside the EasyTouch or is it a separate external power center.

Show us a pic of your EasyTouch's front panel.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for all your help!

SuperFlo was manufactured 9/8/2020, so looks like that is confirming what you stated with the lack of RS-485. I confirmed with them as well that they realized it was manufactured too late.

High speed is 3000 RPM, medium is 1800 and low is 1200, just based on PB recommendations. I am learning and open to recommendations as I know this is not necessary.

The SWCG power center is inside the EasyTouch, pics attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0089.JPEG
    IMG_0089.JPEG
    306.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0094.JPEG
    IMG_0094.JPEG
    603 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0096.JPEG
    IMG_0096.JPEG
    270.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    15.1 KB · Views: 17

Your schedule should keep the pump/filter relay closed all the time, so in theory, the cell should never shut off..

The problem is that when you manually turn something on, it will run for 12 hour (the default egg-timer) and then shut off. I suggest that you do not turn the Pool Mode on or off manually.

Speed wise, this is what I would do... Find out what minimum speed is needed to close the SWCG's flow switch.. I would slow the pump down until the flow light just turns Red. Then I would the speed until the green flow light comes on.. Add about 200 RPM and call that your minimum speed.. (I would not go below 1,000 RPM)...

The main reason to run the pump is to make chlorine and to skim the pool. I have an IntelliFlo and run my pump at 1200 RPM most of the time. At that speed I can make chlorine and my skimmers work fine...

Unless you have a cleaner or water feature, there is no real reason to run faster... I ramp my pump up to 1500 RPM a couple of times a day for an hour.. I initially set it up that way to help the skimmers work, but I am not all the sure it makes any real difference.

You will just need to experiment with it and see what works for you.

Keep in mind that the pump/filter relay "thinks" the pump is running, so it is turning on the SWCG's power transformer.. If you shut the pump off at the pump. the cell will continue to get power.. This can cause the cell to explode if the flow switch fails closed.. Does not happen often, but it does happen.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the insight.

Question I still have in my mind then, is if the cell turns off as it typically has, how do I turn it back on without doing it manually?

We do have a water feature, which I understand needs the higher RPM, hence the frustration with the inability to control via the control panel.

Any idea as to the viability that since the pump is not wired to the panel, the filter/pump relay that the SWCG is wired to is causing it to turn off?

I know how the SWCG should be wired, but have no idea how your system is wired. :mrgreen:

Show me a pic of the inside of your EasyTouch so I can see the relays and breakers..

If "Pool" is schedule to run 24/7 (as it is) then the pump filter relay should be closed all the time. This means the cell should never shut off.

I assume it is shutting off because you are manually turning it on.. But maybe it is wired wrong??? Or????

Since you have a water feature, you need to be able to tell the pump to change speeds when you turn the water feature on.. Just another reason you need the IntelliFlo or a new SuperFlo VST.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Your SWCG transformer and pump appeared to be wired correctly to me.. The Transformer does not get power unless the pump/filter relay is closed (on)... Your Pump is getting constant AC power just like it should.

In theory, if the Pool Circuit is off, then it should come on at 8 am tomorrow and should stay on forever...

You can if you want, set the Pool Circuits egg timer to "Don't stop"...

I don't see anything wrong with your set up except having the wrong pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim!

I really appreciate your help. Woke this am and the SWCG was off. Waited till 0800 and it is now on. So odd that the PB didn't know this! But the pump issue seems to explain that they perhaps have some learning to do on the equipment side.

Again, I appreciate all your help. Owe you a beer!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.