SWG and CYA

611Manetta

Mar 15, 2021
NJ
I have a Pentair iChlor30 SWG. Reading the manual suggests the CYA levels to be in the 30-50 range. Reading posts in this forum, it seems like the recommendation is to keep pools with SWG in the levels at 50-70 for CYA. Should I follow the Pentair manual in the 30-50 range or bring the CYA levels up to 50-70? Keeping my chlorine levels (FC & TC) has been a bit of a challenge so far this season. This is my first year with the pool.

Welcome to TFP, for your area I would do CYA at 70.. It allows the SWG to not work as hard and the chlorine stays in the pool longer with better sunscreen aka CYA\...

Always raise your chlorine level with liquid chlorine and allow the SWG to maintain that level.. SWG suck at raising levels.. :)

The CYA level has no effect on how the SWG works. The SWG will make chlorine at the same rate no matter what your CYA level is. All the CYA does is help prevent the chlorine from being burned off by the sun so your SWG doesn't have to run as long to keep it up. So up to a certain point, more CYA is better. I have an IC40 and keep my CYA at 70 ppm. I target FC at 7 ppm.

Reactions: cowboycasey
The CYA level has no effect on how the SWG works. The SWG will make chlorine at the same rate no matter what your CYA level is. All the CYA does is help prevent the chlorine from being burned off by the sun so your SWG doesn't have to run as long to keep it up. So up to a certain point, more CYA is better. I have an IC40 and keep my CYA at 70 ppm. I target FC at 7 ppm.
exactly that, explained in a better way :)

• Haha
Reactions: clambert1273
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.