SWG a bad idea for metal ABG?

We have a Doughboy 24 ft round ABG. It is older, and metal sides and top rail. We were at a home show last week and stopped to look at a SWG. Pool guy there - always SO trustworthy - said to avoid it, that it would cause rust on our metal pool. He went on to recommend an ionizer, which I have not read anything good about on the forums. Thoughts?

A steel wall pool will rust due to many, many things. Mine had a bad rust out on the wall, plus rust under the top rails and I never had a salt water pool. If you want salt, go for it. Just keep an eye on the pool and tackle any rust as it pops up. Ignoring the rust is the problem.

As far as an ionizer goes, save your money. For a small, residential outdoor pool they have very little impact. The ionizer systems developed for large commercial pools or indoor pools are effective, but they are not a substitute for chlorine.

Note that liquid chlorine contains salt that will build up over time in your pool water. If you don’t drain your pool you will have 1000-1500 ppm in a few years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.