SWCG vs Traditional Chlorine Pro's and Con's

I have a shallow reef area and add it there. It is much easier to brush it around in the shallow water than having to brush it in the deep water. When ever you add salt make sure the SWG is off so it will not get a spike in salt concentration.

I've used both solar salt and the compressed pellets. Solar salt looks prettier dissolving. I thought it looked like diamonds as they were melting away.
Cooler water temperatures causes it to dissolve slower.
And don't panic if the water gets a little cloudy at first, it goes awaits pretty quick.
You may choose to leave the pump running the while time. Its not required.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk HD

I've used both solar salt and the compressed pellets. Solar salt looks prettier dissolving. I thought it looked like diamonds as they were melting away.
Cooler water temperatures causes it to dissolve slower.
And don't panic if the water gets a little cloudy at first, it goes awaits pretty quick.
You may choose to leave the pump running the while time. Its not required.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk HD
Yes,I was planning to run it the whole time plus an hour or so. 14-15bags are going to take a while to pour in the pool anyhow. I'll have to talk my son-in-law to bring over his cold water wet suit to help me install the ladder guards to keep my cleaner from getting stuck while I'm on vacation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would leave a few bags out, did you test the salt before you started? You can go over some but I would not recommend going to high on the salt without knowing where you stand, you can always add but it is a pain to remove.

I would leave a few bags out, did you test the salt before you started? You can go over some but I would not recommend going to high on the salt without knowing where you stand, you can always add but it is a pain to remove.
Haven't started yet! Walmart canceled our order for salt. Seems they didn't have it on hand after all . I placed another order at the store in N Charleston. Hope to pick up the 16 bags on Thursday on our way to visit our daughter and our new grandson. If they don't have it there which I doubt, they have pellets here for 20 cents/bag more. We'll put the salt in Saturday (14 bags) we had a test done yesterday and it was 400 ppm
Pool calc says we need 652lbs to get us to the recommended 3500 ppm. The guy we bought it from told me today to not be concerned if we go a little higher he said if we took it to 4000 it would put out more cl. But I'll test it after we put the 14 bags in then as much as needed to get to us to 3500 on Sunday. Hope to install the swg Monday or Tuesday.

Just be sure there are no additives. All solar salt should be fine.

Thanks, yup no additives. I picked up 18 bags in North Charleston (100 miles from the house) --Wallyworld canceled my original order. Luckily, they had them close to my daughter's house and we wanted to see our new grandson anyhow. After putting 14 bags in my pool, I ran a water sample over to my local hardware store to see what my salt level was. It was 2500ppm according to them. I knew if was a little lower than the 3500. i was aiming for. I had figured I needed to put 16 bags in, so it shouldn't have been that low. So I put 2 more bags in and finished up the installation of my new Si-45 SWCG. Today, when I turned it on for the first time, the readout was 3400 ppm. That hardware store won't be seeing another sample. BTW they also said my TA was too low at 70. Ch @80 was way too low for my vinyl pool. When I told them I wasn't worried about it. They insisted I should be. So after trying to sell me over $100 in chemicals, including something to get my cya up (60 wasn't high enough) I left the store with my now empty sample bottle, I told her I would take care of it tomorrow! Now, I've got to figure out how to get two pvc connections to stop drip drip dripping. I'd hate to have to tear up all my plumbing and redo it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.