SWCG Cost of Operation

Loren42

Aug 1, 2022
Florida Space Coast
I am wondering if a SWCG would be economical in the long haul.

My objective is to make maintaining the pool easier than manually adding liquid chlorine.

What would be a recommended system for my 20K gallon vinyl-lined in-ground pool?

I do not have automation, just run my Pentair VS pump on a mechanical timer right now. Pool details in my signature.

Thanks in advance.

Your primary objective is easily met with a SWCG system.
Economical? All chlorine prices are rising as is gasoline. Do you figure in your time sourcing and transporting chlorine? If it was break even or close would that work for you? How about shortages and the possible inability to source any chlorine at peak demand, do you factor that possibility? I don't use automation and my system works great allowing me to be away during peak season without worry. You need a system that is rated at double your peak demand. There are system maintenance and water balance concerns so do your research. Also if your electrical supply system is not reliable and you often experiences disruptions you will have issues.

Last edited:
I'm new to the SWG concept and ordered one in my AG pool package hoping it'll work out about the same as buying bottles of bleach/chlorine. Our pool was removed 2 years ago and I was able to source bleach for $2-$3 a gallon at Walmart back then. That same bleach is now over $5 - WOW. Same can be said about Trichlor pucks.

I didn't want to buy a IG salt water generator for the AG pool but the general consensus here is get a SWG that is 2x the size of your pool volume.

Reactions: markayash
I am wondering if a SWCG would be economical in the long haul.

My objective is to make maintaining the pool easier than manually adding liquid chlorine.

What would be a recommended system for my 20K gallon vinyl-lined in-ground pool?

I do not have automation, just run my Pentair VS pump on a mechanical timer right now. Pool details in my signature.

Thanks in advance.

HEY!!!!

You are in florida. Assuming you lose 3ppm FC daily, that is 1/2 a gallon of Chlorine. That is 365 * 1/2 = 182 gallons a year. At $5 a gallon, works out to $900. A reasonable assumption is that an SWCG will last 5 years if you want your chemical balance. So $900 x 5 = $4500. This doesn't include your time and money for gas and car usage.

If you are a do ityourselfer, you can find a 40K salt, DIY solution from $1000-$2000 depending on what you want. Might be a bit higher if you have it installed. Replacement cells run about 50% of the whole system to replace.

Seems like Breakeven is about 2 years. Also seems like the breakeven point where chlorine vs. swcg is a wash is 15K gallons. Below that it is more breakeven. Above that tends to favor the SWCG. So does being in the southern tier...when you run your system 365 days chlorine usage is higher than here in Ohio when our season is about 6 months.

IT WILL MAKE IT STUPID SIMPLE. Converted mine last year. Take mine away, I'll fill in the pool.

You should get a system that is rated for 2x your pool volume. In your case, a 40,000 cell. There are lots of options.

I installed this one myself and love it. Right now you can get the 60,000 unit for one more dollar. There are other options that are cheaper.

Hope this helps!!!

Reactions: markayash
Thanks!!! I am definitely a DIY person.

Understand that the pool chemistry still needs monitoring and adjustment. I guess it comes down to what systems might be best.

One issue is that all the pool equipment and the 220/120 electrical box is on the West wall of the house and gets the greatest amount of Florida sun. So any system needs to be robust over the years.

P.S. I spent one year in Ashtabula, Ohio as a kid. :)

Reactions: PoolStored
Thanks!!! I am definitely a DIY person.

Understand that the pool chemistry still needs monitoring and adjustment. I guess it comes down to what systems might be best.

One issue is that all the pool equipment and the 220/120 electrical box is on the West wall of the house and gets the greatest amount of Florida sun. So any system needs to be robust over the years.
I think with ANY system, you would likely want to protect it somehow.

The other issue that you need to address is how to make sure the SWCG never gets power if the pump is not running. A bit of a challenge without automation. Here is how I did it.

Here is another way:

Hope this helps!

Most systems run on either power source, I think all the new circupool self detect.

I have mine on a smart plug and can turn on after and shut down before but I like running the pump on low speed and keep the SWG on a low setting.

But like mentioned above there is more then just cost. To me and others the water is a lot smoother feeling. Plus I can leave for 2 or 3 weeks and come back to a crystal clear pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.