SWCG conversion Payback time

Running the numbers for chlorine maintenance costs.
Would someone please check this? I'm making some generalizations...

23000 gallon pool
Jun-Sept : 2 ppm per day = 240 ppm
Oct-May : 1 ppm per day = 240 ppm
480 ppm per year

1 ppm (my pool) is .191820 pounds - (23000 * 8.34 / 1000000)
480 ppm = 92.0736 pounds Cl

10% Cl has .834 lbs/gal
480 ppm = 110.4 gallons

$4.49 / gal of HDX at my Home Depot -> $495 per year.

Initial purchase price for an SWCG is similar to 2-3 years of liquid chlorine for my pool.

Thnx,
Bill
Minor adjustment. 10% chlorine weighs approximately 9.8 lbs per gallon.

Reactions: markayash
There are a few other factors for the equation like the incremental electricity for the SWG and bags of salt but they don't change the outcome that the ROI is better with the SWG.

There are *other* factors as well. For example, I ruined ZERO clothes in 8.5 seasons with SWG. I’m a big clumsy oaf, my entire wardrobe would be polka dots with liquid chlorine.

Reactions: TexEdmond
I think for something that provides so much convenience and peace of mind, any discussion of return on investment is a fools’ errand.

I came here to say this. A pool is a hole in the ground where we throw money, time, and effort. Of course it's important to control costs, that's why we came here instead of helping to keep the pool stores in business. Any minute of the day I spend on maintenance is a minute I can't spend enjoying the pool or something else in my life. That's the only currency that matters to me.

I already waste too much time obsessing about my pool's chemistry and coming here and mis-reading people's posts and typing long replies to questions nobody asked... So I'll answer this one:
Would someone please check this? I'm making some generalizations...

Generalizations are good and all, but I don't think it's cost that should be the determining factor for installing an SWG, not even the pool volume breakpoint calculation. There's no such thing as ROI on a hobby because the other nonmonetary benefits can't be generalized away or ignored. If you've got the money in the checking account to buy a SWG, it's my mathematical opinion that just like the rest of us YOU'LL FRIGGIN LOVE IT and wish you hadn't done the math because it doesn't matter. Oh wait, that's not math. Okay, Math: It's different for everyone because volume, sun exposure, latitude, everything is different, so do some measurements on your pool now while it's a seasonal change. You and I are at very similar latitudes and my latest test indicates around 0.4ppm FC lost because SWG created 0.9ppm for a net 0.5 increase. It's fair to assume we'll be swimming less and the sun will fall further behind the trees in the coming weeks, so my SWG use is dropping drastically. I prefer taking the conservation of mass approach: Take two FC measurements at the same time each day. FC(yesterday) - FC(today) = FC(gen) - FC(lost). There's any number of ways algebra can make that equation fit into my head, just depends on the day.

I came here to say this. A pool is a hole in the ground where we throw money, time, and effort. Of course it's important to control costs, that's why we came here instead of helping to keep the pool stores in business. Any minute of the day I spend on maintenance is a minute I can't spend enjoying the pool or something else in my life. That's the only currency that matters to me.

I already waste too much time obsessing about my pool's chemistry and coming here and mis-reading people's posts and typing long replies to questions nobody asked... So I'll answer this one:

Generalizations are good and all, but I don't think it's cost that should be the determining factor for installing an SWG, not even the pool volume breakpoint calculation. There's no such thing as ROI on a hobby because the other nonmonetary benefits can't be generalized away or ignored. If you've got the money in the checking account to buy a SWG, it's my mathematical opinion that just like the rest of us YOU'LL FRIGGIN LOVE IT and wish you hadn't done the math because it doesn't matter. Oh wait, that's not math. Okay, Math: It's different for everyone because volume, sun exposure, latitude, everything is different, so do some measurements on your pool now while it's a seasonal change. You and I are at very similar latitudes and my latest test indicates around 0.4ppm FC lost because SWG created 0.9ppm for a net 0.5 increase. It's fair to assume we'll be swimming less and the sun will fall further behind the trees in the coming weeks, so my SWG use is dropping drastically. I prefer taking the conservation of mass approach: Take two FC measurements at the same time each day. FC(yesterday) - FC(today) = FC(gen) - FC(lost). There's any number of ways algebra can make that equation fit into my head, just depends on the day.
Very well said, like this what kind of car do you drive or want?? Well a 1976 Pinto will also get you to work and back. I can pick on Pintos because I had one. Had to back in because reverse didn’t work when it was cold

Reactions: DanF and TexEdmond

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't forget to include the cost of muriatic acid. Since I've switched to my SWG, I traded in my task of pouring chlorine for pouring in muriatic acid. Although I'm not having to pour quite as much muriatic acid as I did chlorine, nor as often.

Reactions: DanF
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.