SWCG advice

Razorhog

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2013
Northeast Arkansas
I didn't want to hijack @jeffpat 's thread so starting my own. I'm considering either the Circupool Core-35 or the Core-55. My pool is 17,500 gallons. Would the 35 be big enough or should I just go as big as possible with the 55?
Also, the spot I was going to place it doesn't seem to have enough straight pipe. The manual says you need 11". I have a section between elbows that is 9.5 inches long. The template has cut marks 7.5 inches apart which would leave 1" on each side in my situation and those unions look to be much bigger than 1". Soooo, I'll have to cut out that whole first section and make a new piece with a longer run. Thoughts and comments?

IMG_7776 (2).jpg

IMG_7781.jpg

Reactions: splashpad
Can you identify things in that picture? It looks like there's a chlorine puck feeder than could go. And it also looks like there's a booster pump for a cleaner and I'm not sure you want that taking water that quickly after the swg. Before the SWG, the chlorine will just be whatever is in the pool. After it will be real high. If I'm correct, then the thing to do is saw the vertical pipe that disappears off the bottom of the picture, saw the pipe just after the screwed-in fitting on the multiport, and build a new section of pipe to feed the cleaner and hold the SWG.

For 25% more $ you get 60% more CL capacity with the 55 cell.

Can you identify things in that picture? It looks like there's a chlorine puck feeder than could go. And it also looks like there's a booster pump for a cleaner and I'm not sure you want that taking water that quickly after the swg. Before the SWG, the chlorine will just be whatever is in the pool. After it will be real high. If I'm correct, then the thing to do is saw the vertical pipe that disappears off the bottom of the picture, saw the pipe just after the screwed-in fitting on the multiport, and build a new section of pipe to feed the cleaner and hold the SWG.
Good point about the puck feeder, I've been wanting to get rid of that thing. Not exactly sure where you are suggesting to cut though. You're basically saying take out everything from where the booster pump feeds all the way back to the multiport, and then have the booster feed before the SWG? Is it safe to take out those screwed-in fittings and start fresh, or just cut and union leaving the existing screw-in fitting?

Good point about the puck feeder, I've been wanting to get rid of that thing. Not exactly sure where you are suggesting to cut though. You're basically saying take out everything from where the booster pump feeds all the way back to the multiport, and then have the booster feed before the SWG? Is it safe to take out those screwed-in fittings and start fresh, or just cut and union leaving the existing screw-in fitting?
Yes, you can unscrew the stub from the multiport after you've cut the pipe. A new threaded adaptor os probably cheaper than a union.

Ok so here is my new thought on where to cut. Does anyone know what the fitting for the booster pump feed line is called? I wonder if it is a common thing I can get at the hardware store or it is specifically designed for this purpose?

Attachments

• IMG_7776_2nd.jpg
    IMG_7776_2nd.jpg
    862.9 KB · Views: 32
Is the hose fitting glued in or threaded into the reducer tee? Either way, you should be able to get everything you need with a trip to HD or Lowes. Bring the hose with you to find the right adapter if the old one is not threaded.

Edit...its called a hose "barb"

Last edited:
Is the hose fitting glued in or threaded into the reducer tee? Either way, you should be able to get everything you need with a trip to HD or Lowes. Bring the hose with you to find the right adapter if the old one is not threaded.

Edit...its called a hose "barb"
Reducer Tee, so that's what it's called! Thanks. Yes it does look like it is screwed in. A new reducer tee and a longer hose and I'll be in business.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Went ahead and ordered the Core-55 and a Taylor K-1766. A little nervous about cutting and re-plumbing but it shouldn't be too hard. Should I start adding salt now or just wait until the K1766 is here? I have been using bleach so I assume there is some salt in the pool already.

Wait until you have the K-1766 and can test current salt level. No reason to rush it.

Reactions: Razorhog
Ok so the pipes are 1.5" so I'll need reducers in there to get a long section of 2" pipe that the SWG requires. Any advice from people who have been there, done that?
Also, I didn't even know there were different kinds of PVC, should I be looking for Schedule 40? Thanks for any help/advice!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.