Swamp Fever...First Time Pool Opening....SLAM Time

I'm going to quit talking to my co-workers about their pools....what's the point anyway, they are set in their puck, algaecide ways. Was talking to another co-worker who said he uses pucks and puts algaecide in his pool once a month and also uses bags of shock every few weeks. Tried to convert him but he kept saying he asks his neighbor what he does with his pool. He apparently does what his neighbor does. I'm 0-3 on conversions, oh well. Their loss and I won't be swimming in their pools anyway.

Haven't heard from my other co-worker with the green pool because he's been out this week. Wonder if he nuked his pool yet? It's not like the weather has been good for swimming anyway, another rainy dreary day.

Now shocky! We all KNOW there is NO way that pool was fit for people to swim in that way it was going :roll:

Don't feel bad about people not "hearing" you when you talk about how easy it is to have a pool with TFP care. It is "different" therefore scary.

Keep doing what you are doing. ONE day one of them might see the light. For now just smile and when they start talking pools whip out your phone and show them your pool then walk way.

:hug:

Kim:kim:

@kimkat Haha....whips out phone, shows my crystal clear pool water pic, booooom drops phone and walks off. LOL

Well I ran into said co-worker last night at the store and he said his pool is almost clear, said he can see the bottom when vacuuming. I wonder what he dumped in his pool to get it clear and I wonder what his definition of clear actually is. I'd love to see a picture of it.

hehe Here is the clue, "can see the bottom when vacuuming" means he can see a hint of the vacuum shape when it is on the bottom. It is NO where near CLEAR like you and I know is CLEAR=you could read a coin heads/tails on the bottom! He would not even know there is a coin :roll:

If only you COULD get a sample of his water to see just how off it is..............NO way I would swim in it :pukel:

Tested my in-laws neighbor's pool (ex pool store owner) and I'm a little confused with the results. I didn't have time to look at all the model numbers, etc.

12 'wide x 30' long (rough guess)
Their pool is inground fiberglass, it 8 foot (deep end) slopes from 3 down to that.
Huge sand filter (about 4' tall and 5' diameter)
Huge pool heater that looks more like a heat pump you'd have for your house.
Hayward chlorinator,
Hayward pump not sure of HP but it's probably 2hp since they also have a slide.

I saw some buckets of some algaecide that say bro-something.

Here are the results:

FC 6
CC .5 (but it sure was strong smelling)
PH 6.8
TA 40
CH 175
CYA 0

They must be blowing through the chlorine if their is no cya in their pool, it's in direct sun most of the day.

If I get a chance I'll get pix of the pool and equipment next time we go out.

If it is a bromine pool there is no CYA. I have not learned much about the bromine system but what I have learned it not good...it is VERY expensive and it can be hard to control for many reasons. There are issues like white mold ewwwwwwww but like I said I am not real up so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If it is a bromine pool there is no CYA. I have not learned much about the bromine system but what I have learned it not good...it is VERY expensive and it can be hard to control for many reasons. There are issues like white mold ewwwwwwww but like I said I am not real up so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I know very little about a bromine pool as well but I do know I don't like the feeling of my skin and my family doesn't like how their hair feels after swimming in it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good grief my pool water is hot......the last few days the water temp has been at 90 degrees. It's not cooling off but about 5-6 degrees at night because of it being so humid and only dropping to the upper 70's. It's really not enjoyable swimming in water that warm. I'm gonna have to cool it somehow??????

It is FUN to cool it! A fountain works and is fun to play in! If you run it over night it will cool it even more. Just remember it will push the PH up BUT now you know what to do about that so it is all good!

I've had one on the pool since I opened it this year but it's not working how I would like, the water isn't spraying out very far. Pipe comes up from return, 90's over the top of the pool rail and hits a T with a short pipe on each side of the T with small holes drilled every 3/8" apart. I might just use a 90 instead of the T and only have one pipe on the side, maybe it'd work better that way.

Haven't been on here in a while, been busy working on my shop.

I made a fountain for the pool to help cool it off and rain it overnight and all day today and something isn't right with my water now. When I ran it the other day my ph was fine but now it's so dark I'm not even sure what it is but the other weird thing is my chlorine level is at about 18ppm and I haven't added any more chlorine than I normally do.

Could of it just been a bad test sample or is there something else going on and what do I need to do to fix this?

The fountain will push the PH up. I have noticed when my PH is up my water does not look as good. It is "flat" and just does not look good.

Keep a good journal and you will see how much an hour of fountain pushes the PH up and can go from there. I think it is worth it to have cooler water!

Chlorine-do you have a puck holder? Are there any pucks in it? Did anyone else in the family "help" out with the pool as in add some chlorine in it?

For the PH you will have to fight a war for right for a while. What I want you to do is use Pool Math and muriatic acid. Put 8.2 in the current level for PH and 7.2 in the target. It might be even higher but you will do this a step at a time. Put in the m.a. pool math tells you to and brush where you pour it in. Wait about 15 mins and test again. If the PH is not in the 7s do the above all over again. Keep doing it until you see it in the 7s.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Crisis averted....LOL

I grabbed the wrong container that I get my samples with, I grabbed the one I add chlorine with and used it.....oops. There must of been residual chlorine in that container that drove up the readings.

Got the correct container later and retested and here are the results.

FC 4ppm
Ph 7.5 (even after running it for the last two days) it's been this reading for the last few months.

I think I'm going to have to close the pool for the season, we aren't using it at all and I've been busy and haven't had much time to deal with it. I was going to order a solid cover for it but funds are tight with my upcoming surgery and all the medical bills I've had lately. Looks like I'll have to use my mesh cover and deal with a swamp when I open it next year.

Is there any way you can wait until the water gets under 60??? I don't know what you tree/leave situation is like so .........that could be a game changer. Can wife at least pour bleach in once a day? OR even use pucks to keep it open as long as possible. I sure hate to see you have to go through another SLAM :( BUT at least you will know what to do.

Yeah that surg is needed by man the $$$$$$ :(

:hug: hoping for the best!

I'll hold off as long as I can before closing it and hopefully the water temp will be at 60 before my surgery. I really don't want to use that mesh cover but not sure what else to do. Once the leaves start falling it's gonna be a mess, we have a ton of trees around so the pool will get hit hard. I've thought about using pucks for the time being but I'm sure she can add bleach once a day.

Something is going on with my pressure as well, it's zero psi on the return side and I can't figure out why. The gauge is only a year old and I can tell from the return that the pressure is about half of what it should be. It's still circulating the water enough to keep it skimmed. I'll probably just wait and check it out once I close the pool.

I have my good days along with my bad days, feels like the new normal right now...LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.