SW Open Raypak Heater

Raypak's design of the high limit switches on the residential models just isn't good.

I bought new HL sensors, applied new thermal paste (literally used Thermal Grizzly CPU thermal compound), and put adhesive underhood engine insulation all around where the sensors are located. It hasn't tripped HL2 since.

Raypak's design of the high limit switches on the residential models just isn't good.

I bought new HL sensors, applied new thermal paste (literally used Thermal Grizzly CPU thermal compound), and put adhesive underhood engine insulation all around where the sensors are located. It hasn't tripped HL2 since.
In hindsight. Do you think you needed anything besides the insultation ? I don't understand why there was no recall or such...

In hindsight. Do you think you needed anything besides the insultation ? I don't understand why there was no recall or such...

My theory is that the thermal compound may play a larger role. I think what happens is that the heat rising up out of the combustion chamber is what physically heats up and trips the HL switches. That area of the heater gets boiling hot during extended runtimes. The thermal compound allows the sensors to let that heat get transferred into the header more effectively. The high temperature wrap may have helped some.

IMG_8121.JPG

The algae you are battling is why you have filter and flow problems.

Fix the algae problem.

My theory is that the thermal compound may play a larger role. I think what happens is that the heat rising up out of the combustion chamber is what physically heats up and trips the HL switches. That area of the heater gets boiling hot during extended runtimes. The thermal compound allows the sensors to let that heat get transferred into the header more effectively. The high temperature wrap may have helped some.

View attachment 530231
Very interesting , thank you for your insights.

Toggling the heat on and off a few times , seems to clear the issue ( temporarily until next startup ) . I have a hot tub and had a similar problem , pressure switch failing and heat would not turn on. Going to give replacement a try.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Toggling the heat on and off a few times , seems to clear the issue ( temporarily until next startup ) . I have a hot tub and had a similar problem , pressure switch failing and heat would not turn on. Going to give replacement a try.
Ok that didn't work. Not only that but the replacement switch didn't work at all where the old one did.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.