SW Florida Pool Construction Quote

kuhlmike82

Apr 19, 2021
Cape Coral, FL
Good evening everyone - I am in the process of hopefully adding a new pool in the SW Florida area (which means a pool cage too!). I've gotten quotes from 4 builders in the area and I've included what I believe to be my best option (not the cheapest, not the most expensive, family-owned builder, good reviews/recommendations). I've done a lot of reading on here the last few weeks so I've already changed a few things from the original quote (switch to VS pump from two speed pump, etc.). I was just hoping to get anyone's opinions on the quote below, see if there are any glaring omissions or any obvious changes that should be considered. This will be my first pool, so I don't want to make too many rookie mistakes, especially if I can catch them from the very beginning. We have voted against the deck jets, even though they are included in the sketch.

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes a minute to have a look.

Scope of Work:
Construct new Concrete Swimming Pool, Paver Deck and Screen Enclosure. Please see attached sketch.

Includes:
Design, engineering and permits
Standard electric hook up, 4’ X 8’ Concrete Filter Pad and Alarms
14’ X 28’ Concrete Swimming Pool with Steps & Deep End Bench
Pentair 1.5 HP VS Variable Speed Pump
Pentair 150 Sq Ft Cartridge Filter and Rainbow 320 Chlorine Feeder
(2) Pentair Color Changing LED Lights with Transformer
Hayward Surface Skimmer with Self Adjusting Weir
(5) Pressure return lines, overflow line and 2” dedicated vacuum line
Choice of Waterline Tile $6 Allowance- Includes many Glass Tiles!!
Choice of Color Flagstone Paver Coping
Florida Stucco Silver Pearl Interior Finish
Maintenance kit, Chemical start-up and 30 Day Service

Includes: Dirt and Sod removal

Exclusions: Landscaping, Shutters, Fencing or sprinkler system work. We will cap off any visible sprinkler pipes. We will grade the yard back.

Options:

Pool Deck
800 Sq Ft Flagstone Concrete Paver Deck, Screen Footer, (2) Door Pads and Deck O Drain-Choice of color and pattern to match Pool coping. Includes Thin Pavers on Existing Lanai.

Screen Enclosure
34’ X 41’ 3” X 24’ Aluminum Screen Enclosure with 9’ Mansard Construction, 7” Super Gutter, (2) Doors and Downspouts and hardware. Made with Fifer American screen material and Cadmium steel screws dipped in porcelain.
White or Bronze

Pool, Paver Deck and Screen Enclosure Total $50,150

For 8’ X 8’ Sun Shelf with (2) Bubbler Fountains, add $1,000
For Gulfstream HE-125 Heat Pump- 125,000 BTU, add $3,450
For PureChlor 20 Salt Chlorine Generator, add $1,100
For (2) Adjustable Deck Jets with valves, add $900

Construction Specifications:
2020 Florida Building Code
Standard excavation with #57 Stone base with Well Point
Minimum #3 Rebar @ 12” CEW Structure
4000 PSI Gunite or Shotcrete Structure

1618869370314.png

Mike,

I have not seen many pool builders installing a "PureChlor 20".. I tried to look up some specs but failed to find what I needed..

For a salt cell to operate well, it needs to be rated for at least 2 X the volume of your pool.. I'd want to know for sure what size pool the PureChlor 20 is rated for..

I would not use Flagstone for anything..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Mike,

I have not seen many pool builders installing a "PureChlor 20".. I tried to look up some specs but failed to find what I needed..

For a salt cell to operate well, it needs to be rated for at least 2 X the volume of your pool.. I'd want to know for sure what size pool the PureChlor 20 is rated for..

I would not use Flagstone for anything..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you taking the time Jim. I believe Flagstone is the brand of pavers (they are supposed to be concrete interlocking pavers). I'll double check about the PureChlor. I assumed it meant it was rated for 20k gallons. My pool volume calculations show 11800 gallons (without the sun shelf area).

Mike,

I could not find a "20", so was not sure.. We (and you) need to know how much chlorine gas the cell will make in a 24 hour day at 100%.. As an example: My cell is rated for a 40K pool and makes 1.4 lbs. of chlorine gas per day.. You need that type of info to know how to run your pool...

Thanks,

Jim R.

My previous pool had the PureChlor system, it worked fine, get it sized right. The biggest issue I had was when I wanted to change the cell, I couldn't easily get my hands on one. They are part of another brand (forget at the moment) that makes the same system, but I didn't want to spend a good chunk of change on another "brand" cell to find out that it wasn't interchangeable later. So, I cut bait and switched to a Pentair iChlor when I changed it.

On your layout, I would try to maximize deck space. On my pool, I made the decision to put the pool all the way at the back of my screen. Won't be able to walk around the back side, but I wanted the extra space on the house side. I may end up not liking that decision, but with only 3' on the back side, it's just a walking path.

Any automation? What are your depths?

What type of pentair color changing lights? Are they nichless or the old school large lights with niches? Most here recommend the microbrite over the globrite for nichless.

Overall, that price looks really good in the current market. Pool builders are busy and equipment is somewhat scarce. You should talk through schedule and make sure youre comfortable before you finalize your contract.

Nope - good catch.

I was thinking about possibly moving the sun shelf to the steps side and integrate the steps to the sun shelf. Or make the sun shelf the width of the pool with the steps built-in.
Our sun shelf is our first step into the pool. Stepping down from the sun shelf you are on a deeper sitting ledge (that runs the width of the pool and halfway to the deep end), and there are two steps down from that into the shallow end. If you have the real estate, that might work. I wouldn't skimp on the sun shelf dimensions to get the steps though. Our sun shelf is 8x8 and I wouldn't want it any smaller.

My previous pool had the PureChlor system, it worked fine, get it sized right. The biggest issue I had was when I wanted to change the cell, I couldn't easily get my hands on one. They are part of another brand (forget at the moment) that makes the same system, but I didn't want to spend a good chunk of change on another "brand" cell to find out that it wasn't interchangeable later. So, I cut bait and switched to a Pentair iChlor when I changed it.

On your layout, I would try to maximize deck space. On my pool, I made the decision to put the pool all the way at the back of my screen. Won't be able to walk around the back side, but I wanted the extra space on the house side. I may end up not liking that decision, but with only 3' on the back side, it's just a walking path.

Any automation? What are your depths?

What type of pentair color changing lights? Are they nichless or the old school large lights with niches? Most here recommend the microbrite over the globrite for nichless.

Overall, that price looks really good in the current market. Pool builders are busy and equipment is somewhat scarce. You should talk through schedule and make sure youre comfortable before you finalize your contract.

I'll have to do some more digging about the PureChlor system it sounds like. I'll look into the Pentair iChlor system too.

The builder originally had 2' along the back side and I thought I would need 3' to maybe put chairs or some sort of furniture around the back side of the pool, but I agree with maximizing my front/continuous deck space.

No automation was discussed - but looking into the options, that seems like something that may be worth the added cost up front. I'll keep looking.

The Pentair lights proposed are the Microbrite.

The price seemed in line with the other quotes we got as well. They ranged from 48k-53k. The current timeline is at least a couple months right now, so I am not getting my hopes up for early summer swimming (permitting takes at least the first 30 days in my area).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It has been a while since I first posted, but it's still not done. I browse through the forums occasionally, but haven't found the time to sit and add photos of my progress (even though I've had plenty since the last time I posted). It has been an exhaustive process with what turned out to be a terrible pool builder (still highly rated online at the moment). We signed in April 2021 and I still have no idea when it is going to be finished. By my rough count, there have been less than 20 days of workers being on site since we signed the contract (476 days and counting). I have only seen my pool builder (the man that sold it to me and said he would be here all the time and that it would be done in 3-4 months) on site no more than 4 times (once at dig, once to clean up some debris, once to deliver some window/door alarms, and maybe once more, but never once to follow-up and check the work of any of his sub-contractors). I am just ready to swim in the thing.

The rough timeline has been as follows:
4/2021 - Sign contract
10/2021 - Dig hole

October 21 - Forms.jpg
11/2021 - Shoot concrete for shell
November 21 - Shell - Smaller.jpg
1/2022 - form and pour deck footers
January 22 - Footer forms.jpg
4/2022 - Paver deck started and finished
April 22 - Decking started.jpg
April 22 - Decking Finished - Smaller.jpg
5/2022 - Pump/filter/heater installed/piped on pad
Equipment Pad.jpg
6/2022 - Screen/cage installed
June 22 - Cage started.jpg
June 22 - Cage Finished.jpg
7/2022 - Interior finish materials delivered to site (been here for over three weeks and still not installed)(photos below of current state)
August 22 - Current state.jpg
July 22.jpg

It has been a while since I first posted, but it's still not done. I browse through the forums occasionally, but haven't found the time to sit and add photos of my progress (even though I've had plenty since the last time I posted). It has been an exhaustive process with what turned out to be a terrible pool builder (still highly rated online at the moment). We signed in April 2021 and I still have no idea when it is going to be finished. By my rough count, there have been less than 20 days of workers being on site since we signed the contract (476 days and counting). I have only seen my pool builder (the man that sold it to me and said he would be here all the time and that it would be done in 3-4 months) on site no more than 4 times (once at dig, once to clean up some debris, once to deliver some window/door alarms, and maybe once more, but never once to follow-up and check the work of any of his sub-contractors). I am just ready to swim in the thing.

The rough timeline has been as follows:
4/2021 - Sign contract
10/2021 - Dig hole

View attachment 447568
11/2021 - Shoot concrete for shell
View attachment 447569
1/2022 - form and pour deck footers
View attachment 447565
4/2022 - Paver deck started and finished
View attachment 447563
View attachment 447570
5/2022 - Pump/filter/heater installed/piped on pad
View attachment 447561
6/2022 - Screen/cage installed
View attachment 447567
View attachment 447566
7/2022 - Interior finish materials delivered to site (been here for over three weeks and still not installed)(photos below of current state)
View attachment 447564
View attachment 447562
It's swim season again! Do you have any final "after" pictures?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.