Suspect Black and Mustard Algae

Thanks Red-Beard.

I just tested my FC and it was down to 3 from being at FC12 earlier in the afternoon, this is crazy.
My pool gets a lot of sun but hard to believe the sun ate up that much LC in a few hours. I added 163oz of LC and will test again at 7pm. It’s cloudy now and keeping my fingers crossed that it’s doesn’t do another massive drop.

Yes CYA 30. I thought ideal cya is 30 to help preserve the LC, but I guess I misunderstood this, as I thought low cya was good, high cya caused faster loss of LC

we’ll there’s no sun now, just clouds. I will see how my FC test goes in hour.

If my liquid regents are expired I assume this will throw off my readings as well? I am ordering new regents now because I noticed most are original from the kit purchase and expired in 2020.

In Houston you may want to look at a CYA of at least 50.. Yes you have to have a higher FC level but the sun will not eat as much chlorine.. :)

Good morning. Results from last night OCLT. it’s better :), I think.

7:30pm yesterday
FC - 13
CC - 0
CYA - 30

This morning at 6:30 am
FC - 12
CC - 0
CYA - 30

Do you think one more OCTL is needed?

based on the suggestion I will increase my CYA to 40/50. Lower PH since I know it’s high and then being FC in-line with higher CYA.

Thank you all!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Right, thanks For the reminder to check PH once FC is below 10. I also tested these. Should I lower TA before testing and lowering PH?

TA - 120
CH -270

Last edited:
We’ll, I think I finally have it balanced.
FC - 8
CYA up to 45/50 it looks like
PH - 7.4
CC - 0
TA - 120 but I expect it will drop a bit now that I lowered the PH.
CH -270
And it started raining. Not sure how rain will affect the work I did. have a great 4th of July

Hello all, I hope y’all had a great July 4th.

As of Saturday I had my CYA at 50. I was gone all day Sunday and knew we were expecting rain. This morning the waterline was just below the coping and must had raised 3”-4” due to the rain. I measured my levels again and my CYA dropped back down to 35 which is a big drop in my opinion. I’ve added more stabilizer to bring it back up to 50. It’s now pouring again so, do I have to recheck my CYA after each rain fall. Hard to believe the rain water caused such a drop in cya.

my PH also went from 7.4 to 7.8
FC was at 6 which is good but I added about 50oz of LC to raise it to 8.

It should not affect CYA that much. In my pool (25K gallons), 5 inches of rain will push about 8% of my water out. My average depth is about 5.25 feet.

Gallons, divide by 7.49 to cu feet. Then calculate surface area. Divide volume by area for average depth.

Good Morning. I’ve been managing to maintain a good FC a level since slamming a couple weeks ago, but now I can’t seem to stabilize the PH. It rises every almost daily to above 8 and I am adding MA every few day. We’re not using the pool either due to the rain

this morning my numbers
FC 7
CYA 40
PH 8 dark pink
TA 100.

I read that a good PH is 50-60 in order to keep PH steady in the 7’s. should I lower my TA to these levels? I can turn the jets up to create the bubbles. How long would it take to lower TA to the right level?

thanks

You can follow Lower Total Alkalinity - Trouble Free Pool

How long it takes depends on how diligent you are at adding acid, aerating, etc.
Or you can just keep lowering your pH everytime it gets to 8 or above. Not a big deal as you are testing and adding liquid chlorine every day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.