Support slabs broken—advice please.

digg

Apr 21, 2024
UK
Hi, this last weekend I installed my first pool, an Intex Ultra XTR Deluxe Steel Frame 18' x 9' x 52" pool. Last night, just as the pool was nearing being full I noticed that all of the concrete slabs supporting the legs had cracked and broken. Some simply in half and some in both directions—see attached pics.

The pool is standing on what was grass lawn, I had to remove 4 inches of soil from one end to get a level and we then covered the soil with 2 or 3 inches of sharp sand and leveled that. The 16” x 1” slabs were set in the sand so that the sand and the tops of the slabs were level. Then we put the ground sheet on top and placed the pool on that.

I assume I am going to have to drain the pool and replace the slabs but do you have any advice so that it doesn’t happen again?

Attachments

• IMG_2152.jpeg
    IMG_2152.jpeg
    171 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2153.jpeg
    IMG_2153.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 14
Sounds like the ground was perhaps not as level as you thought or perhaps some areas sank once the pool was getting filled? Not sure what the solution is but we have many here with AGPs so someone might be able to share what they did to prepare the area.

The 16” x 1” slabs
Those are stepping stones and while not every one cracks for everyone, enough do that we recommend pavers which are 2.5+ (actual) inches thick.

Do not buy the 2 inch stones as they are actual 1.5 inch and prone to the same cracking.