Superslamming

So that speaks to a the filter, not the chlorine levels, correct?
Maybe. It can also speak to not enough brushing. High chlorine alone may not eradicate algae. You need to brush off the slimy biofilm so the bleach can get to the heart of it and kill it. And you need to find the hidden algae behind lights and inside ladders and steps and ob the backside of the skimmer weir

Well, that is certainly green with lots of live algae in there. Do you also have debris like leaves, mud, etc. in the bottom? It is best to try and get all of that out, even if you are just blindly vacuuming. You will need lots of chlorine to kill the algae and it will also try an oxidize any debris, so the less debris you have the more it can spend on the algae.

Reactions: DThompson55
I believe it's clean as a whistle under all that green. We vacuum and scrub daily and the toes don't feel anything other than vinyl. All that green is why I thought I should double down on how much chlorine I was adding since I know one is just going to absorb the other in a matter of hours.

I think at this point what we should do is admit defeat. Just leave it as is. Wait until pool closing in a few weeks to drain it completely. I can't fill it back up now because we're on water usage limits. I think draining is the only way to deal with the CYA issue I created. I guess I can leave a drained pool over winter, but i've been wrong about everything else so far. Or maybe leave it and drain it in the spring. Start with fresh water next summer, maybe get a new filter system while we're at it.

Reactions: markayash
The key factors are finding and removing (by brushing and soaking) all algae, and to maintain SLAM level as thorough as possible. That much algae will consume a lot of chlorine. The more often you get out there to test FC and top up with bleach to maintain SLAM level, the faster you will be done with the process. All chlorine above SLAM will get lost very quickly, you'd just run out of bleach very quickly. That vibrant green will take its time to get cleared, but it has been done many times, you'll be OK, just be patient, don't give up.

But at CYA 80 it won't be easy to maintain SLAM level, it will take lots of chlorine. Probably more efficient to do a partial drain/refill to get CYA down.

Once you can see the bottom, you use the pool again with FC up to SLAM level.

And once you're done: Remember that the min FC is a limit you never want to be under, always maintain a safety margin to the min FC. That is your buffer if things go wrong. Ideally you'll always try to stay within the target range.

If you know that you'll have a higher chlorine demand, like when having a pool party, especially with little kids that might leave a no 1 in the pool, than top up before people get in the pool. No harm in getting a bit above the target range, but there can be harm in falling below the min value - not just risk of algae growth, also risk of insufficient sanitation.

Reactions: DThompson55
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.