Superpump II housing nutsert munged up.

RASelkirk

Jul 11, 2015
Port Neches, TX
Hi all,

This is my son's housing, he had a chronic leak due to the loss of clamping on the upper RH bolt. He couldn't get the nutsert out, so I gave him my spare pump while I try and sort this out. I found a pic of the repair kit, it looks like the barrel threads into the housing, but why are there two? Do they run that deep? Anyhow, please look at these pix and advise if this is a lost cause.

20230529_184020_resized.jpg
20230529_184027_resized.jpg

Thanks!

Russ

Son found some info on another forum (not sure I should post a link here or not) but the guy bought a 25 pack of inserts off Amazon for ~ $5. Granted, this was a couple years ago. I have not had time to pursue the bad insert but will post back when I do.

Russ

Progress! I chased the "other" 5, all good. Took 10 minutes with my EZ-out kit to remove the bad insert. From my hot-rodding days, found my 3/8-16 Helicoil kit, looks like 2 stacked inserts and a gracious gob of epoxy might do it.

20230531_154123_resized.jpg

20230531_154135_resized.jpg
20230531_154141_resized.jpg
20230531_154149_resized.jpg
Any thoughts on how to protect the insert threads from the epoxy fill? I'm not sure Vaseline on the threads will be enough, I'm leaning towards using a wooden dowel that can be drilled out and chased with a tap...

Russ

Well, that didn't work out as planned, found out Heli-coils don't get along too well with chaser taps. My double-stack backed out with the tap's removal, so firmly locked into the tap that I had to use needle-nose pliers to unwind the mess. Plan B has been started - drilled out old epoxy, filled fresh hole with PC-7 epoxy, will allow for 24 hr cure, then drill, tap, & do inserts "the normal way" with the 'coil kit's prescribed equipment, and wait another 24 hrs for full cure...

Russ

Still holding up after a week!

I think if I were to do this over, I'd use a 3/8" SS hex nut - if - I could thread the outside of the nut with the tools I have on hand, SS is pretty tough on a threading die. Then drill the old hole to the proper ID and tap it, and run the nut in with some epoxy. Maybe below deck a bit and heat-stake it. Pretty sure that would be a more robust fix.

Russ

Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.