Superflo VS Union Nut Cracked

sean.a.hyde

Gold Supporter
Jun 5, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
Image from iOS (6).jpg
Started up and there was a trickle of water. Tightened with a rubber strap and... snap. One year old.

I see that inyopools seems to carry an alternate brand? Custom Molded Products Union Kit for Pentair SuperFlo - 350157 - INYOPools.com Or I can get the Pentair one.

My bigger issue is that the fitting goes right into an elbow and there isn't much room upstream of that:
Image from iOS (5).jpg
Do I try to just replace the elbow? The Elbow and zinc T?
Anyone successfully used something like this: Pasco 3244 2" ram bit - - Amazon.com
or this: Reed Tool CRP200 Clean Ream Plus with 3/8-Inch Hex Shaft, 2-Inch Head - - Amazon.com

I've had less than positive experience with a couple of CMP products. I'd stick with the Pentair part. Looks like you'll need to replace the elbow and the T, although several people have had successes with those two drill bits.

I've had less than positive experience with a couple of CMP products. I'd stick with the Pentair part. Looks like you'll need to replace the elbow and the T, although several people have had successes with those two drill bits
I guess we'll see how the inyopools part works. Can't be worse than the Pentair part that broke after 1 year...

I think I can just cut flush against the elbow and then put a coupler and a "street" 90. I actually have those parts in sch 40 already and it seems pretty close.

My main concern is that it is actually supposed to hit 30 degrees Wednesday night, so I need the pump to run now that I've opened. I'm also running it 24/7 to clear the water. I did close the main drain feed so that if the collar explodes in the middle of the night, it will only drain down to the skimmers.

Otherwise, pool opening went pretty well. It was more cloudy than last year even though the water is only 50 degrees, but still blue. Maybe I should put some poly-whatever in during closing. Brought up the pH from 6.7 to 7.4ish, and raised CL to SLAM level, and set about clearing leaves and worms, worms and more worms from the bottom. Two hours later, 80% of the chlorine was gone again (and CC was like 3.5), so I brought it back up to SLAM and went to bed.
This morning, all the chlorine was still there and CCs were 0.5. So as long as the water continues to clear up, I'll be in good shape soon (and then I can think about when to start heating it to get the SWG running).
InkedImage from iOS (5)_LI.jpg

All fixed. I ended up getting the "Swimables" brand replacements from Amazon since they would arrive here the fastest and I was worried about the freeze coming Wednesday night: Amazon.com: Swimables SuperFlo & SuperFlo VS Pool and Spa Pump Replacement Unions - Replacement for Pentair 350157 - Made in USA: Garden & Outdoor

I cut right where I indicated. I ended up taking a small amount off of one side of the coupling so that it wasn't too long. Should be plenty of contact area left.

The big lesson is to always, always ONLY HAND TIGHTEN collars -- don't even try those rubber strap wrenches. If it is leaking, no amount of tightening will fix the problem, you will just break something. Instead, take it all apart and try again.
IMG_9430.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.