Super Chlorinate - how long is it feasible to keep the SWG in super chlorinate mode?

A SWCG is very good at maintaining a FC level, but not good at raising it. As Marty says, to raise it use liquid, even plain household bleach.

Understand that the more you run it at 100% or in "super chlorinate" the faster you are using up the life of the cell.

A SWCG has finite life. So you can use it as you wish. I do not see what size SWCG you have for your 33000 gallon pool, but if it is a 40k rated unit, it needs to be run close to 100% for 24 hours per day during summer to create the chlorine you need in your pool.

I was just curious if it negatively affects the SWG. I do use the liquid chlorine for instant increases of FC.
Yes, it is using up the expected life quicker. This is one of the reasons we say that folks should size a SWCG twice the volume in their pool. You will get twice the life for a much smaller incremental cost up front.

If you need the chlorine production then use it from your cell. It has been shown that cost per chlorine ppm is the same between liquid chlorine and a SWG. You paid for it so you might as well use it if needed.

Last edited:
I think it Is the one with the 40,000 gallon pool size - Hayward Aquarite - Cell says T15 - during the summer months I usually run it at 90 percent to maintain the chlorine just as you mentioned.

What is your pump daily runtime?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's good, 2.4 ppm FC per day. My pool consumes about double that. But I live in the desert ----

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.