LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2011
Stockton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SunTouch controller showed air sensor error. Installed 2011, worked fine until this rainy winter. Initially, just saw air temp reading 145 F. The water and solar temps were OK. Controller self-test shows no errors. I bought and installed a replacement air sensor, but same result. Yesterday AM found the pump running, for no apparent reason, couldn't shut it off. No longer cold around here. I think it is because the faulty air temp reading confused the freeze protection? I disabled the air sensor function, and now pump is running as scheduled.

Questions:
1. Is the air sensor problem caused by a circuit board fault or ?
2. Can it be fixed?
3. If I need to replace the SunTouch, is there a controller, reasonably priced, with WiFi capability? My pool is very simple, and the only functions are pool and solar valve.

Thanks.

1. Is the air sensor problem caused by a circuit board fault or ?

Did you test the temperature sensor with an ohmmeter?

10K_thermistor_chart.png

2. Can it be fixed?

Probably a sensor or wiring problem that is fixable.

3. If I need to replace the SunTouch, is there a controller, reasonably priced, with WiFi capability? My pool is very simple, and the only functions are pool and solar valve.

Have not heard of one. If you want WiFi the companies want you to get a higher end automation system.

Did you test the temperature sensor with an ohmmeter?
I'm not very savvy on this electricity thing. But I did have one try at it, and don't remember the result. It was either a couple thousand ohms above or below 10,000, which is what I read somewhere is the "expected" reading. I've never seen this chart or had any idea that there would be a range of "expected" results. I'll give another try with both the old and new sensors, and report back. Actually, last summer I stated seeing a solar sensor error. The solar service company fixed it, but I've no idea what they did, since we weren't home. And very uncharacteristically, they did not leave a service report. Thanks very much for your input.

10K_thermistor_chart.png

Probably a sensor or wiring problem that is fixable.
Unless the sensor leads are just not secure in the terminals, what else can be amiss?
Have not heard of one. If you want WiFi the companies want you to get a higher end automation system.
That's what I'm afraid of. I'm surprised that Pentair does not seem to have upgraded this SunTouch box since 2011! Also surprising that the same old box is still available.

Thanks for your help on this. I thought I might see what my options are before having a service call. Two years ago, I had unrelated work done, and the guy, who is both pool and plumbing licensed, told be it would be $2000+ for a WiFi enabled controller. It's just that this SunTouch is so goofy, I have never even tried to explain to my wife how to operate it, and she is pretty tech savvy. One errant button push on the SunTouch and it is a huge headache to backtrack.

The Pentair SunTouch does the basics of a solar controller well. It is not complicated and I don’t think the boxes are flying off the shelves as many folks get higher end automation that includes solar control.

The Pentair SunTouch does the basics of a solar controller well. It is not complicated and I don’t think the boxes are flying off the shelves as many folks get higher end automation that includes solar control.
I agree, given the limited demands of our pool/solar. But, I have some mobility issues these past few years, so any opportunity I have to reduce the trips to the control box are helpful. With the high price of clean electricity in California, I am constantly tweaking the pool system, depending on whether it is weekday or weekend, etc. I've had solar pool heat since the 1970's, and added rooftop PV in 2019. With limited usable roof area, I had to do undersized pool and PV system, so neither are optimal. Hence frequent manual fine-tuning to get the water warm enough for my ageing body, while keeping energy use and cost manageable.

Hi ajw22,
Tested both the old and new air sensors. Old 15,500 ohm, new 14,500 ohms, room temp 58 F. The reference table shows 16,123 ohms expected. It looks like the sensors are OK.
When I opened the box, I can see come corrosion/deposits where the sensors connect to the board. We had a very, history making rainfall this year, and we had a number of power outages.
It seems like the problem is with the board. Should I try to find someone to replace it, or just go with a new box?
Thanks for your help.
Jerry

Oops. I decided to just disconnect the solar sensor from the box, now the pump won't come on. The self-test does not show any errors, and display looks normal. Does the box need to have the solar and air sensors connected in order to switch the pump on?

It seems like the problem is with the board. Should I try to find someone to replace it, or just go with a new box?

Price out the two options. If there is not much of a difference get an entire new box.
Oops. I decided to just disconnect the solar sensor from the box, now the pump won't come on. The self-test does not show any errors, and display looks normal. Does the box need to have the solar and air sensors connected in order to switch the pump on?

I think it needs at least the water sensor to run.

If you don't have the air sensor connected you need to disable it in “Advanced Menu (8/14): Air Sensor”

You need the solar sensor. Solar will only operate when the solar temperature is 6° warmer than the water temperature.

Last edited:
I reattached the air and solar sensors with difficulty. The solar sensor terminal is corroded and tight, and the wires are stranded and floppy, rather than solid. Anyway the pump now runs again, albeit with the erroneous air sensor readings. The way I am with electrical stuff, I imagine I would really mess up trying to replace the circuit board, though it looks fairly "easy".
Awaiting words of wisdom on how to proceed. Thanks.
Jerry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just saw your reply. I always had the water sensor connected, and when the air was disconnected, I had disabled the function on the panel. It seems like it needs the solar sensor as well.
I will proceed with getting a couple bids, and hope to get it done before it gets warm enough to turn the panels on. Thanks for your guidance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.