Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Total Control PPC3
So...

We closed the pool in late October/early November. We followed all of the proper procedures: We lowered the water 8" below the intakes, blew out the lines, chemicals, etc. etc. We cover the pool with a loop-loc safety cover.

With no snow, but heavy rains, the pool seems to be close to the top and will likely overflow after the next storm. I saw some old threads about leaving pool cover pumps on the top or second step in the shallow end to deal with this. What I have been unable to find - and thus the reason for this thread - is a recommendation for which pump. Friend's of ours bought this:

But I see other pumps out there for half the cost.

My question to the group:
Is this the same old story of "if it says pool on it, it's twice as expensive"? Or is there a reason to spend a bit more on this?

Anyone have any specific brand/recommendations?

Thanks!

The latter. Although I'm told I can/should be using a pool cover pump regardless. I see from another thread I found that it seems to be either the:

Wayne WPCP250 57735-WYN1 with the magnetic float switch (not sure why this is better than the iSwitch or the
Little Giant APCP-1700

The Wayne is $186; The Little Giant is $132.

Suggestions or alternatives?

Although I'm told I can/should be using a pool cover pump regardless.

Why and by who?

I see from another thread I found that it seems to be either the:

Wayne WPCP250 57735-WYN1 with the magnetic float switch (not sure why this is better than the iSwitch or the
Little Giant APCP-1700

The Wayne is $186; The Little Giant is $132.

Suggestions or alternatives?

I use the APCP-1700 for my cover pump. It is not made to be submersible.

Use a submersible pump to drain the pool.

Here are the pool pumps I use…

full

For the use you described make sure the submersible pump you get has a float switch.

This guy is $83 and will push 4k+ GPH with a 1.5 inch hose.

I pop a corner of the cover and tie it up in a bucket in an attempt to drain mosty rain water stratified up top. I ran tests last year at different levels and the chems were more or less 0 to perfect on a sliding scale with the depth.

20240113_134827.jpg

I drained 10 inches 2.5 weeks ago and it was full to the brim again the other day with all the bad weather we've been having.

Reactions: poolmedic244
This guy is $83 and will push 4k+ GPH with a 1.5 inch hose.

I pop a corner of the cover and tie it up in a bucket in an attempt to drain mosty rain water stratified up top. I ran tests last year at different levels and the chems were more or less 0 to perfect on a sliding scale with the depth.

View attachment 550056

I drained 10 inches 2.5 weeks ago and it was full to the brim again the other day with all the bad weather we've been having.
Thx. You liking the 1.6hp one?

You liking the 1.6hp one?
Time is money. Or simply time that you check to see if you're done yet, and you're not, so you give it another hour. And then it's still not done. Or the next check. Now the sun is going down and it's only 2/3 of the way done and it's getting cooooooold. :ROFLMAO:

Go big or go home. I used to have the 1/3 hp pump and with a big pool it was a sunup to sundown ordeal. Now it takes a couple hours tops.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.