Gold Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It appears that we are just starting to touch the phase in the Houston Texas area we refer to as "Green Snow" season, or extreme tree pollen season.

I have been running the pool at CYA 30-40 since not long after plaster startup and FC 5.0-5.2. Stepping up to FC 6 and will continue to monitor the final landing point for CYA. Outside in full sun the CYA test was in between CYA 40 and 50 which I believe should be a good place to hold for a tree shaded pool in Houston.

Test Last Night
FC 5.2
CC 0.0
PH 7.9
TA 80
CH 270
CYA 40 (todays test is in between 40 and 50, so I am not going to add any additional CYA at this point in March and assume 50 for the test)
WTEMP: 58 degrees F
CSI -0.01

Hopefully this is a nice stable point to be at in preparation for my first Houston summer of running sodium hypochlorite.

Last edited:
You can save reagents by using only 10cc for the FC/CC test. 1 rounded test spoon powder and then each drop of reagent #0871 will equal half a ppm. So count your drops and divide by 2 and that will be your FC/CC values.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: stinsontx
Do you use skimmer socks? If not you can and should do so. They will help keep the yellow, gooey stuff out of the filter thus keeping you from having to clean the filter as often. You can get hair nets from Amazon for cheap. Just pull out and toss or the white cloth ones you can rotate between washings.

Kim:kim:

Do you use skimmer socks? If not you can and should do so. They will help keep the yellow, gooey stuff out of the filter thus keeping you from having to clean the filter as often. You can get hair nets from Amazon for cheap. Just pull out and toss or the white cloth ones you can rotate between washings.

I haven’t tried using skimmer socks. Good suggestion to try during pollen season.

You can save reagents by using only 10cc for the FC/CC test. 1 rounded test spoon powder and then each drop of reagent #0871 will equal half a ppm. So count your drops and divide by 2 and that will be your FC/CC values.

Maddie :flower:
Once the heat really settles in and I really understand the daily FC burn I’ll probably switch to the 10ML sampling. 👍

Reactions: willygee
Once the heat really settles in and I really understand the daily FC burn I’ll probably switch to the 10ML sampling
The .X doesn't matter at all and will rarely save you knowing it even more. .5 is way close enough. Focus on the full #. An 8 for example. An 8 is AWESOME and far above minimum with a 50 CYA. The point whatevs that follows the 8 is 'who cares'

Now. I also appreciate getting ones geek on. So feel free to track it to the hundredth place if it scratches that itch.

I haven’t tried using skimmer socks. Good suggestion to try during pollen season.
Im all to familar with our lovely pollen here. Get a pack of the skimmer socks on Amazon. They will do wonders. I change them our every 3ish days and just toss in the trash...they get disgusting green/brown. You will see though how much they trap pollen from going into your filter.

You got this Stinson !!!

This remains to be seen.....Check out the PH on PoolMath log.....so I do have a spillover from spa to pool. I added 11 -12 oz last night. At a TA of 80, almost acting like PH bounce. It wants to stay nailed near 7.9-8.0. Obviously new plaster is probably not helping. Going to try and not overthink this. For sure today the pool was at PH 8.0. CYA test back at 40.

Marvel Reaction GIF by Nerdist.com

Reactions: newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so I do have a spillover from spa to pool
How often are you running it ? Running it as little as possible will help a good deal.
At a TA of 80,
Probably good and if it wants to move, it will.
It wants to stay nailed near 7.9-8.0.
If it stays nailed, this is not neccesarily bad. 8 isn't ideal, but if the CSI is in range, its ok. Any 7 is equally fine so long as the CSI agrees.

How far do you lower it as that may be hurting you as well ? The further you lower it, the quicker it returns. Think of a swing. With a gentle push to 7.8, it comes back gentle. With a big push to the low 7s, its coming back with a vengence. Duck.

As long as the pool pump is running the spillover is running, would need to be reconfigured to isolate.

Good input regarding the PH, probably need to not hit it so hard (which I did tonight unfortunately, wanted to see if I could make it go to 7.6).

image.jpg

Good input regarding the PH, probably need to not hit it so hard (which I did tonight unfortunately, wanted to see if I could make it go to 7.6).
7.6 is ok. But if its fighting you so hard, listen to your pool and try 7.8 to see if it holds longer.

It might be worth it to do some changes to your plumbing to be able to shut that off some times. If you want input on how best to do that share some pics of your equipment pad and we can/will help you out. I am hoping it will be just a valve to add.

How much did it cost to have the step markers installed ? if you dont mind me asking :)
They included the cost and installation of the decorative tiles in the re-plaster estimate and unfortunately did not break out that cost as an individual line. We used traditional white plaster (like the color and feel) which is relatively "low cost" compared to other pool surfaces.

If I see correctly, from your photos attached to your profile, that spillover is from the spa. I'm new to having a pool but I don't think I would stop the spillover. That spillover is required to bring you chlorinated water, if you stop that how will you ensure a good level of chlorine in the spa?

In my spa I have 2 loops, one loop that feeds the spa with water in the Pool mode, has 2 heads, and the second loop that feeds the spa with water in the Spa mode, has 6 heads. I can never stop the spillover and I would not want to.

With automation it is typically quite simple to schedule the Spillover for a couple times day to keep the spa water chlorinated.

If you have actuated valves and an automation system that operates them, it is very likely you can create a Spillover function.

7.6 is ok. But if its fighting you so hard, listen to your pool and try 7.8 to see if it holds longer.
Well it got to 7.8 today, but there was a hit on the TA (moved 80 to 70). I am just going to chill a bit in trying to oversteer the PH until the plaster ages more. 👍 Pick the right battles as they say.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.