Suggestions for Plumbing Setup?

Edward98

Sep 26, 2020
ATX
My build is coming to an end and the PB is looking to change how the pumps are assigned to features. Today, I have a VSP which runs the pool, spa and bubblers. I have a 1.5HP Whisperflow which runs the in-floor cleaner and waterfall.

A couple of interesting behaviors I've noted are that when the waterfall is running, the cleaners are running as well - though at a relatively low pressure. I can have cleaner only or waterfall/cleaner - but no waterfall only.

When the spa is running, the bubblers in the tanning deck stop.

I think the builder is saying that both the bubblers and the waterfall should've been on the 1.5HP pump with the cleaner. The idea being that the water features could be running while running the spa.

Any thoughts? Is this the ideal setup or are there some other options.

It would be good if you can post pictures of both pumps and the return lines from each.

If you want a water feature to run when you are in Spa Mode, then you need the water feature pump - so that is good that you have that.
Now it is just how they plumbed them and it appears they did some changes.
A couple of interesting behaviors I've noted are that when the waterfall is running, the cleaners are running as well - though at a relatively low pressure. I can have cleaner only or waterfall/cleaner - but no waterfall only.
This sounds like the wrong type of valve was used or not set up properly to allow the waterfall only capability. Again, a picture of this valve and plumbing would help in review of this.
When the spa is running, the bubblers in the tanning deck stop.
That is normal. When in Pool Mode, you have suction from pool and return back to the pool via returns and bubbler. When in Spa Mode, you have suction from spa with return only to the spa. If it returned to the bubbler, then it would drain your spa. if you want the bubbler to run when in Spa Mode, you would have to connect it to your water feature pump with another valve.

Get back to us with pictures and other questions.

Plumbing setup regarding features is all a matter of opinion. Your PB may set it up how he thinks is best. It is better if you can determine how you want the features and systems to operate and explain that to the PB so that they can figure out the way to plumb, to make that happen.

I had a significantly different opinion than my PB. I reworked the entire thing within 2 months of them turning it over because I wanted it a specific way. The method of operation was not defined in the contract, so they fulfilled the contract. I just should have spoken up and made clear how I expected it to operate. I believe they would have done it however I wanted, but again, they just did it how they saw fit.

--Jeff

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.