Suggestions for Layout of New SWCG

The funny thing about this is the SJ uses the vertical by default, it is very stable and easy to do that way...

If mguzzy has pointed us to the correct manual for your SWG, you can mount it vertically. The manual refers to an optional kit for that orientation, though I'm not sure what that's about. You might check on that, and read the installation portion of your manual to give you some ideas about what's going to be best for your setup.
DanF mentioned in his first post that he was considering an RJ30, so I connected to the RJ install manual. Its basically the same form factor as the Hayward T-Cells. The vertical install kit is just a bunch of El's and a short length of PVC that you can get at a hardware store for the same or lesser price. So don't be compelled to get it, there is nothing special about it.

Reactions: DanF
there's a single piece of PVC at the top which makes the 180 degree bend/U-turn
That would be the other reason to skip this kit. You'll want to be able to adjust the distance between those two upper 90s so that the PVC legs align with existing plumbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hmmmmm, now were talking business opportunities :)

Considering I stopped drinking in 1996 because I LIKE Alcohol A LOT and no way could I function....

Reactions: Dirk
I just took a closer look at my equipment pad and it looks like the 2" pipe coming from my filter gets reduced to 1 1/2" for return flow to the pool. Is this common?
What does the last 2" represent in the 2" X 1 1/2" x 2" label on the elbow?
If i go the vertical installation route, would I just reduce the 2" coming out of the flow switch down to 1 1/2"?
20200928_113737.jpg

It looks like the suction side has some 1-1/2 in it too. Maybe the whole system was 1-1/2 at one time? Or maybe that was done to balance the flow. There's a science to the size of the pipes coming and going to a pool, but I don't know it. Just as it is now, use 2" everywhere you can, and convert to 1-1/2" at the very last.

I don't know why it's 2" X 1-1/2" x 2" instead of 2" X 1-1/2".

Last edited:
Hey Experts - I think I've decided to install the Circupool RJ30 vertically. In either case I'd like your input on whether I have enough room to place an upward pointing ell that would attach to the outlet pipe from the filter. I picked up a length of 2" and placed it where I would need to cut out the existing downward-pointing ell.

See attached pics. Do you think the new pipe would have enough clearance to the existing horizontal pipe which is the return to the water features? I guess I could extend the filter return, but don't want to if I don't have to.

Thanks.
20201001_095211.jpg20201001_095151.jpg

You have plenty of room there, just cut at the end of the downward facing 90 and install an upward facing 90 with you new pipe for the cell.. you might use a union on each side like I did as it makes it easy to remove the whole thing if needed... you will also have the 2 unions between your cell..

If you play it correct it looks like you will have a straight connector to the return after your SWG comes back down :)

You have plenty of room there, just cut at the end of the downward facing 90 and install an upward facing 90 with you new pipe for the cell.. you might use a union on each side like I did as it makes it easy to remove the whole thing if needed... you will also have the 2 unions between your cell.
Thanks...I'll check out the unions in your setup.

If you play it correct it looks like you will have a straight connector to the return after your SWG comes back down :)
That's what I'm hoping for!

OK I received the SWCG (CircuPool RJ45+) and will be installing it like shown in this picture, with the flow switch prior to the U-turn and the cell after. Honestly I have the room to install the cell horizontally but the pictured layout uses less pipe and less ells, so most efficient all the way around.

I'm almost done getting the pool's salt content to 3500 ppm (manual says 3000-4000). I may go a little higher than 3500 to account for an upcoming backwash.

I'm anticipating there being a little time between plumbing the SWCG and hooking up the electrical (control box to existing 2-speed pump). Can I run my pump with the SWCG plumbed in but not running? I wouldn't want to leave the pool without circulation until everything is complete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.