Suggestions for a New Pool Cleaner

iamtexmax

Bronze Supporter
May 25, 2018
Austin
Got a pressure side cleaner - Pentair Racer LS when we built the pool (approx 4 years back) - does not work any more. Any suggestions on a reliable pool cleaner? Also if I do get a robot what do I do to the outlet that feeds the Pentair Racer LS (I assume the booster pump will also not be used if I do get a robot)...any thoughts suggestions...thank you!
PS: my pool is open year round and the Pentair Racer LS never came out except to get cleaned

You have your mind set on getting a robot cleaner?

Did the Pentair Racer LS clean your pool well?

Consider getting another Pentair Racer LS or Polaris 380.

You have your mind set on getting a robot cleaner?

Did the Pentair Racer LS clean your pool well?

Consider getting another Pentair Racer LS or Polaris 380.
Did the Pentair Racer LS clean your pool well? - it was ok...the bag mechanism was a pain....it never picked up fine particles (pebbletec surface - had these fine sand like particles).....I see that you own a Polaris 380 - do you have any issues? where did you buy it from (if I may ask)? (checked on Amazon - $849)

The Polaris Quattro is very good at picking up fine sand. It has coarse and fine filters, no bag. I don't know whether it will fit your Pentair socket, though. I have one and it's OK, I'm not in love with it but it works.

Been using a Polaris 380 for 20 years. I rebuild them as necessary and they last 10+ years before they need replacement. I bought my latest one in 2019 from Amazon.

My cleaner lives in the bottom of my pool. It simply runs every morning and I always have a clean pool. I do not want to deal with putting a robot cleaner in and out of the pool.

No cleaner is perfect. Life cycle costs for pressure cleaners are good if you have the ability to overhaul them as needed.

Did the Pentair Racer LS clean your pool well? - it was ok...the bag mechanism was a pain....it never picked up fine particles (pebbletec surface - had these fine sand like particles).....I see that you own a Polaris 380 - do you have any issues? where did you buy it from (if I may ask)? (checked on Amazon - $849)
Might try the Polaris 280. Cost less than the 380 and has a larger bag and throat. I've had two in the last 30 years with a few rebuilds over that time.

Reactions: Laura596
Will the wall connection I have for the Pentair Racer LS fit the Polaris 280?
Yes. The port in the wall is a 1.5" FIP adapter, used by all modern pressure-side cleaners. You may have to remove the "cup" (wall fitting adapter) that is threaded into it. You can try to put the Polaris wall fitting into it and likely it will work. Be sure to lube the O ring. Polaris and Pentair wall fittings have been interchangeable for years as far as using the same adapter.

Reactions: iamtexmax
I used a Polaris 380 for over 10 years. It did a good job and I learned to take it apart, change tires, replace swivels, and keep it going myself.

It just didn't seem to get the whole, irregularly-shaped pool free of debris. After reading the robot-fan discussions here and figuring in the cost of running the extra pump for the Polaris I purchased a Dolphin Active 20 robot from a local pool supply store about a year ago - Pinch a Penny if anyone cares.

I love it. It cleans my whole pool perfectly. I just leave it in and it runs three times a week automatically for two hours while my pool pump is on high.

Allegedly, the savings in electricity will pay for the robot in a couple of years. I'm not sure about that. I am very satisfied with the robot.

Last edited:
Reactions: iamtexmax
I just purchased a Polaris 380, dark blue & grey, black tires from a store on eBay. It was a demo and was taken care of. I opted not to have the main hose and it cost me $480! Half the price of a new one. I had 2 of these 380’s in 25 years and I do all the repairs on them, all the way down to the guts, and then they are like new again! I also, keep the extra parts if the old ones in case I need something. The 380’s are a workhorse. I run mine for almost 6 hrs every day without amy problems.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.