Suggestion for replacing a Pentair WFDS-24

nk_tn

Aug 3, 2021
Tennessee
Long time lurker, first time poster. My 2-speed Pentair Whisperflo WFDS-24/012485 (HP 1.0/SF 1.25) died at the age of 11. It runs at low speed (very hot), but at high speed it kicks off almost immediately. I looked at rebuilding it, but it is completely rusted out, so by the time I put a new motor and impeller and seal I figured I'd be just as well off replacing it. I was pretty happy with the performance and noise level, so I thought I would just be able to buy another one, but I haven't been able to find it or the full-rate version (WFDS-3) on any reputable pool equipment sites. In fact, it appears in the 11 years since we put in the pool that 2-speed pumps are no longer in vogue. Lots of people seem to be keen on variable speed pumps, but we initially put in a 2-speed pump because it was much more cost effective (cheap) at the time and it appears that the pricing hasn't changed all that much. We have a ~35,000 gallon rectangular 22'x40' pool with 2 skimmers. 4 returns, 2 drains, and another return/cleaning port. Most of the time, we run at low speed just to keep the water moving and for the SWG. We run at high speed a few hours a day for our Polaris 360 cleaner. The pump speed is controlled by a Hayward Pro Logic PS-8. I'd like to stick with 115V and also not have to redo my plumbing too much. Looks like maybe a Pentair SuperFlo VS might work, but frankly, I'm having a hard time finding anything (especially anything in stock). Any recommendations? Thanks in advance for all your valuable advice.

Nick

Welcome to TFP.

Federal regulations as of July prohibited the manufacture of SS or 2 speed pumps over 1.1 hp.

Read Pump DOE Regulations - Further Reading

You have to shop around and see what folks have in stock that works for you.

See if there is any utility rebates in your area for vs, where I live there is a $250 instant rebate when you fill out the paper work. I’m sorry your pump went out during this time, it’s true manufacturers are completely backed up and prices definitely reflect that. I’m not that familiar with prologic and it’s compatibility with vs pumps, that’s something I would look into.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.