Suggestion for "Location" for new registering members.

Mr Bruce

TFP Guide
Mar 24, 2014
Greenville, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool SJ-55
Can text similar to:

"If you live in a rural area or small town please use the nearest large metropolitan area or the region of your state (e.g. Upstate New York)"

be added to the registration screen for 'Location'? I have seen several locations I have no idea where they are and have to click to open Google Maps and then zoom out - out - out ... oh Onionville is near Raleigh, NC!

Just a thought.

Reactions: Oly
Can text similar to:

"If you live in a rural area or small town please use the nearest large metropolitan area or the region of your state (e.g. Upstate New York)"

be added to the registration screen for 'Location'? I have seen several locations I have no idea where they are and have to click to open Google Maps and then zoom out - out - out ... oh Onionville is near Raleigh, NC!

Just a thought.
Everyone thinks their town is obvious, but that is often not true for people in a different part of the country.
I have no idea where Greenville, SC is.
So, should you be using something more descriptive? ;)
I would guess no as to me the climate across SC is probably the same so it does not matter.

If someone said they were from Show Low, AZ ... would that mean anything to someone not familiar with AZ? Nearest large Met would be Phoenix, but the climates are completely different.

I understand your desire, but it is often easier sad than done.

As Jason pointed out, many states can have different climates throughout the state. Clicking on a members location to open Google maps only takes a few seconds.

Locations that don't help are:
  • "earth" (yeah, someone actually has that listed :crazy: )
  • just the state
  • only a zipcode (cause we all have every one of those memorized :laughblue:)
  • nothing (cause they didn't put a location in their profile)
Being specific helps us to better help you.

Everyone thinks their town is obvious, but that is often not true for people in a different part of the country.
I have no idea where Greenville, SC is.
So, should you be using something more descriptive? ;)
I would guess no as to me the climate across SC is probably the same so it does not matter.

If someone said they were from Show Low, AZ ... would that mean anything to someone not familiar with AZ? Nearest large Met would be Phoenix, but the climates are completely different.

I understand your desire, but it is often easier sad than done.
State would be an improvement. I think the one that was the last straw was "Gilbert", no state included.

Also, I'll have you know
Greenville (/ˈɡriːnvɪl/; locally /ˈɡriːnvəl/) is the largest city in and the seat of Greenville County, South Carolina, United States.[3] ...The population of the surrounding area was 400,492 as of 2010,[6] making it the third-largest urban area in South Carolina as well as the fastest growing. Greenville is the largest city in the Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin Metropolitan Statistical Area. The MSA had a population of 906,626 in 2018,[7] making it the largest in South Carolina and the third largest in the Carolinas.
:D

I am actually in Travelers Rest, South Carolina - Wikipedia but I realize nobody will know where that is without looking. I changed it to Greenville, SC because that is slightly more useful.

I admit I originally had "North of Paris" because I live in the shadow of Paris Mountain, but I realized that was unhelpful and useless so I changed it to Greenville.

As you can see I have Southwest, AL. I gave that because I think it gives people a clue as to the climate I'm in, and to me that's what we really want to know. Besides nobody knows or cares where Burnt Corn is! :)

While I understand @Mr Bruce's concern, unless you are a geography wiz, any specific city really isn't useful.
Without looking at a map, can you tell me how much further north LA California is than Las Vegas, Nevada? Why should Upstate NY be any different than Long Island NY? Why do I care if you are from Phoenix, Tucson, or Vegas? Wouldn't desert SW USA be just as descriptive? People who put specific locations are just saying where they live. Wouldn't North Carolina have been enough or did it really matter where Onionville is that it required you to look it up?

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually agree. I was going to say maybe change "Location" to "Location (City, State)" to rule out the cute answers but clicking on 20 random threads I couldn't find a single example of "Onionville", no state.

Maybe this is a non-problem after all :/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
City and State are good guidelines to stay with because if we asked for general geographic location some would put earth (and we have some of those anyway) and I think we'd get a lot of USA's.

What we normally need is climate info, so general geographic location is fine. In some specific instances we need to know city and state because things are available in one place that are not available in another (i.e. in the southwest when someone inquires about R/O treatment), but we can always ask that as the need arises.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.