Suggested settings for variable speed pump

BlueWRXPride

Jun 18, 2020
Syracuse, NY
Hello,
Info is in my signature, but I have a 22.5k gallon pool and a 1.65hp variable speed pump. There are 2 floor drains, 2 skimmers, and 3 return jets. There are also 3 deck jets with their own shutoff valve. The pump can have 3 settings which it cycles through over 24 hours, X RPMs for Y hours.

I'd love some input on how to determine the most efficient programming for my setup while still keeping the water clean. Thanks!

I have the same pump and I am planning on running it 24/7 at 1100 rpm, right now I have to run it at 1380 because of my SWG but I am getting a new 1.5 HP diffuser and impeller for my pump so I can run a lower RPM :) This is a working plan to see where to set it so it works for my pool, filter, and SWG and how it looks in the end... I may see if I can only run it 12 hours or so next year and see what the water looks like and go from there...

I will have the override set to a higher rpm just in case some bugs are in the pool just before we get in...

So is there no need to run at a higher RPM for some duration, and then drop down to a lower RPM for a different duration? Is the benefit of a VSP not to have it run different speeds at different times, but rather to fine tune exactly how many RPMs you need and no more, then just use that speed? And what % of the day should I have the pump circulating, any rule of thumb for that?

It depends upon your system. Do you have a pool floor cleaner powered by your pump? If so you will need more RPM. You will also need to observe the operation of your skimmer and determine how it functions at different RPM. SWGs need a minimum flow rate to operate so minimum RPM.

My system is simple, no pump powered cleaner, no SWG and my lowest RPM to skim is 1300.
I programmed my pump as follows: first I disabled the prime feature as it is not needed in my case and setting #1 Is 2400 RPM for 1.5 hours to fast clean the surface. #2 is 1300 for 8 hours and #3 is set at 2400 RPM for 1.5 hours to mix chem applications, and final surface clean before shut off. My hours of run time for each set vary throughout the year with an increase in summer and decrease in winter.
My pump also has a one button quick clean option that can be run as needed. That setting is 2500 RPM for 45 minutes and is used when I want to add chems when the pump is off already or if the surface loads up with debris.

It depends upon your system. Do you have a pool floor cleaner powered by your pump? If so you will need more RPM. You will also need to observe the operation of your skimmer and determine how it functions at different RPM. SWGs need a minimum flow rate to operate so minimum RPM.

My system is simple, no pump powered cleaner, no SWG and my lowest RPM to skim is 1300.
I programmed my pump as follows: first I disabled the prime feature as it is not needed in my case and setting #1 Is 2400 RPM for 1.5 hours to fast clean the surface. #2 is 1300 for 8 hours and #3 is set at 2400 RPM for 1.5 hours to mix chem applications, and final surface clean before shut off. My hours of run time for each set vary throughout the year with an increase in summer and decrease in winter.
My pump also has a one button quick clean option that can be run as needed. That setting is 2500 RPM for 45 minutes and is used when I want to add chems when the pump is off already or if the surface loads up with debris.
OLY,

Are these times all done during daylight and not night time?

I have no floor cleaner, so there isn't that complication. How do you know what GPM is necessary for the skimmers? Are you looking to see if debris gets sucked down into it rather than floating on top in the skimmer?

I started doing different RPM but finally just set it at 2100 24/7. Could go lower but have a spa with a water fall and that speed works best.
With my old pump my filter pressure was 15psi plus now it’s 4.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have no floor cleaner, so there isn't that complication. How do you know what GPM is necessary for the skimmers? Are you looking to see if debris gets sucked down into it rather than floating on top in the skimmer?
-- Yes, vary the RPM and watch the skimmer entrance to verify how well surface material is pulled in, how fast, from how far away or if it easily floats by. You can use ping pong balls or a little saw dust or try it a night with a flashlight.
-- What do you use to clean the pool floor?

OLY,
Are these times all done during daylight and not night time?

I actually switched the programmed set from day to night during during peak summer in an effort to lower the pool temp rise. I noticed the return water temp was significantly higher during the day run. Now that air and water temps are falling I am back to running during the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.