Sue from FL in Baqua-heck

Keep the FC up at 15 till CC goes to zero.

This might be a good moment to double check your test technique, assuming you are using the FAS-DPD chlorine test, be sure the sample is turning completely clear when counting drops for FC. Some people stop when it is just very slighly pink and then read that last .5 as CC instead of FC.

CYA of 30 is good for now. You will want to get some more to have on hand as splash out and rain triggered overflows will lower it over time, but there is no rush.

I just cannot seem to get the elusive zero CC. It stayed at .5 CC all day yesterday. This morning was 14 FC but 1 CC. (I think it rained overnight--everything was wet.) At this rate I am going to need to order another bottle of the R-871 reagent within the week. At $18 shipped for a 2 oz bottle, it kind of makes Baquacil seem cheap!

I'm also getting worried because I'm going to be away from this Thursday through Monday and don't know what I will do during that time if I'm still having to maintain the high FC. Cabelas has not shipped the Intex SWG I ordered, so I'm sure it won't be here in time.

Sorry if my frustration is coming through, but it just doesn't seem like there is any end in sight to this. I work at home and these 7AM treks out to test the pool every morning are making me cranky! Every morning I say a little prayer over my vial of water and every morning there is CC...

Dave, that is music to my ears! I didn't add chlorine today until I finished my swim at about 4. I wanted to let it fall so I could get a good pH reading. It was down to 10 FC and still 0.5 CC. ph 7.4 and TA 180. I went ahead and added chlorine again, but if it stays at 0.5 CC or less tomorrow, do you think I should go ahead and let it fall down to the 3-5 range per chemgeek's chart?

Absolutely. It sounds like you have won the war....

Water is clear
CC's .5 or less
The ability to hold chlorine reasonably overnite.

My pool frequently registers .5CC. I ignore it as do many others. Again, 1.0 or higher should be your concern. The .5 will probably go away (or it may not)in the next few weeks but I believe you are done shocking the pool.

3-5ppm from here on out and GO SWIMMING!! Nice work! :lol:

What were your results of using Fresh n Clear?

MeSue said:
You people are going to think I'm a flake, but I found more info on sodium percarbonate and now I am thinking of doing it that way.

What I read said 5 lbs per 10,000 gallons is what is needed to burn up the Baquacil. After thinking about transporting all the bleach I would need, the idea of the sodium percarbonate became more appealing, and apparently you can get it at Leslie's Pool Supply under the brand name "Fresh N' Clear." I am hoping that I can find some tomorrow when I am going to be in that area of town.

So after I add the 5 lb. SP and filter for 48 hours, would I then change the sand, or should I first get the chlorine to 15 ppm and make sure it holds overnight before changing sand?

How well did the addition of FnC work in your pool. Is this a shortcut in getting the Baq out? I have a reading of 50 for Baq. I am converting to Chlorine. The cloudy water is not going away. I am in Jackson, NJ.

Steve

Re: What were your results of using Fresh n Clear?

poolpsycho said:
How well did the addition of FnC work in your pool. Is this a shortcut in getting the Baq out? I have a reading of 50 for Baq. I am converting to Chlorine. The cloudy water is not going away. I am in Jackson, NJ.

Steve

I didn't use FnC, but I was able to order generic sodium percarbonate from The Chemistry Store online. I think I posted a link in this thread. Actually, all the details of my conversion are in this thread if you read all the pages. Pay particular attention to waterbear's posts in this thread. He seems to be the one that knows a lot about using sodium percarbonate for Baquacil conversion.

Adding the sodium percarb helped my conversion go faster-- I didn't have the "Goo a lot of converters talk about and I had less extreme color changes. Whether the cost of the stuff was more or less than the extra bleach I would have had to use... hard to say, but my guess is it cost me less doing it that way.

If you already started your conversion by adding bleach, I don't think you can do the sodium percarbonate at that stage, though.

Re: What were your results of using Fresh n Clear?

MeSue said:
poolpsycho said:

Steve

I didn't use FnC, but I was able to order generic sodium percarbonate from The Chemistry Store online. I think I posted a link in this thread. Actually, all the details of my conversion are in this thread if you read all the pages. Pay particular attention to waterbear's posts in this thread. He seems to be the one that knows a lot about using sodium percarbonate for Baquacil conversion.

Adding the sodium percarb helped my conversion go faster-- I didn't have the "Goo a lot of converters talk about and I had less extreme color changes. Whether the cost of the stuff was more or less than the extra bleach I would have had to use... hard to say, but my guess is it cost me less doing it that way.

If you already started your conversion by adding bleach, I don't think you can do the sodium percarbonate at that stage, though.

Thanks for your response. I have been adding bottles of bleach yesterday. It is raining heavy right now at 0445 Weds 6/04. I will check the water when sunlight gets here. I didn't have any goo so far. The water just turned lt tan as I first added the bleach and then turned and has remained a light cloudy green. I had to backwash the filter about 3 times so far.

Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.